Heater matrix , how to get to ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Braincrank

Car
Mercedes 200E
Is there any way to get to the heater matrix from the engine bay or just via the dash , which I took apart about a year ago due to a leak at the connection at the matrix. And since taking the dash apart was a pain in the backside and I hated every minute of it , I don't really fancy doing that again in a hurry .....
Got a very loud gurgling sound coming from the heater when I switch the heating on. The system is not loosing any fluid.
I tried to press and release the hoses while the engine is running with the filler cap open to try to release any trapped air in the system but no joy /-:
Have any of you got any other tips I could try ??

Is the heater giving hot air to both sides? Have you tried bleeding the air out at the duo valve?

Haven't tried bleeding at the duo valve, that's my next job since I think it needs cleaning or replacing because hot air is coming out of the passenger side and warm air from the drivers side.
I suppose this is the time of year when heating problems get noticed ....

No, you can't get at the heater matrix from the engine bay

Nick Froome

If hot air coming from one side but not the other the best (and easiest) place to start is the duo valve.

Heater matrix (if like 190 I've just had done) is a bugger - £11 part from ECP, full dash out job that took the young apprentice who did it a day and a half (not that I was charged for that time but indicative of what you might need). However, if you have no signs of a heater matrix failure (leaks into footwell, steaming up etc) then try a flush to clear it out as a preventative measure.

Thanks for the replies . Yes, I definitely don't want to fuff about with the matrix again if I can help it ....
Next job will be the valve. After 25 years there must be a hell of crap in the system .... Thinking of attaching a hose pipe and running some fresh water through and taking the duo out to check its condition .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom