Heathrow Closed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A "Good Result" in situations like this is when everyone comes out alive. All credit to the Staff, whoever they may be, for superb control.

You'd get fit pushing it......

Haha!

I think they did realise something was wrong.
My wifes uncle was onboard the plane and has a shattered shoulder where the overhead containment broke and smashed down onto him and his business partner was knocked out and has a fractured skull, not a bad fracture but still nasty. There were lots of other little injuries he said but at least no one was hurt badly.

I feel for those guys...but thats all most passengers said to me really, that they didn't know anything was up until the emergency services arrived.

I hope they both get well soon though, had a messed up shoulder once back in high school, it's bl**dy kills it does!

The Pilot and Co-Pilot are know by a few of the staff who work with me who've been here longer than I have. I want to see them for myself...and then probably say something like 'that was a remarkable landing...'... :eek:

Last edited:
I want to see them for myself...and then probably say something like 'that was a remarkable landing...'... :eek:

Perhaps you should say

"With a belly flop like that I bet you were never any good on the High Diving Board..."

Perhaps you should say

"With a belly flop like that I bet you were never any good on the High Diving Board..."

Ahaha! :D :D

I'm doing +6's all next week (Normal 5am-1pm shift then +6 hours overtime), so might catch them at least once... :D

latest news.

Here's the latest Air Accidents Investigations Branch preliminary report. Doesn't really say much more than is known already.:confused:
http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/latest_news/accident__heathrow_17_january_2008___initial_report.cfm

here's an excerpt

Initial indications from the interviews and Flight Recorder analyses show the flight and approach to have progressed normally until the aircraft was established on late finals for Runway 27L. At approximately 600 ft and 2 miles from touch down, the Autothrottle demanded an increase in thrust from the two engines but the engines did not respond. Following further demands for increased thrust from the Autothrottle, and subsequently the flight crew moving the throttle levers, the engines similarly failed to respond. The aircraft speed reduced and the aircraft descended onto the grass short of the paved runway surface.

a bit late on the uptake here, but one of the guys on the elises forum posted this... :)

runway.gif

Just so we keep in all in perspective...
2005 Worldwide plane crash deaths (incl ground fatalities) 1361
(includes small, large, military)

From statistics.gov.uk
2005 Uk Road deaths: 3201
2005 UK Hospital deaths from MRSA 1629
2005 UK Hospital deaths from C-Difficile 3807

- so we kill 4 times as many people in hospital from 2 bugs then die in the whole world on planes.

I think that means you are safer walking down the road to the hospital then going inside it.

Richard

Very interesting. On another note, I drove past Heathrow last Saturday along the A30 heading away from London toward Bedfont Lakes - saw the 'wreckage' at the foot of the runway before it was moved - truly a surreal sight.

It's absolutely amazing that they managed to get the plane down on the grassy area within the perimeter and that everyone survived. A few hundred meters shorter and the outcome would have been very very different. I'm sure many people on board will think they've been given a second chance in life.

All credit goes to the pilot and crew.

a bit late on the uptake here, but one of the guys on the elises forum posted this... :)
I remember some years ago a heavy jet lined up an approach on a taxiway rather than the runway, and only just missed one of the hotels outside the airport!

Just had some inside info. that the cause being investigated now is on-board interference (from mobile phones or other personal electronic devices) affecting the engine management systems.

Look, I'm flying in four weeks - just go steady on these reports!!

Mike

Just had some inside info. that the cause being investigated now is on-board interference (from mobile phones or other personal electronic devices) affecting the engine management systems.

That's not what I hear.

Four focus areas apparently:

1. Small particulates in fuel (contamination)
2. Ice in fuel
3. Faulty sensor giving wrong readings to systems
4. Faulty systems software (new upload carried out 4-6 weeks prior to incident)

Interim report from AAIB due out Monday.

That will be interesting. Given the extensive testing to which AIMS was subjected on the ironnbird, I'd be surprised if mobile phones were in the equation.
On final approach a couple of day ago I was (more than) curious if any pre-landing checks were made. The engines were spooled up twice beyond the point I'd think I'd normally notice, prior to the extenstion of landing gear. Have any other 777 passengers noticed similar checks since the Heathrow incident?

Interesting, but still just speculation ...

Simple explanation really.

I just heard that there's been a breakthrough. The explanation turns out to quite simple. Apparently what happened was that----Fatal Exception 06 has occurred at 0028:c008ad6a in VxD HookTDI (01) + 00002FE2. The current application will be terminated.----- So after reading that you can see really there's nothing to worry about. :crazy:

Last edited:
Focus is still on fuel and temperature.

I heard from a very reliable source that as they could find nothing wrong with the engines or their control at all, they have taken a look at the fuel and the issue that it actually ran out of fuel. Allegedly one of the people in charge of refuelling had to go on leave for counselling.

One wonders if the true cause will ever be known publicly.

Uh oh.

Private Eye 1204, 22.02.08

PE777Crash.jpg
PE is always a good read - I'm not sure the regulators would compromise on general safety to that degree though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom