Heating up metal at home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay1983

Car
mercedes ml270 cdi
Hey everyone.

Strange question this but I intend on changing my ARB bushes but have read horror stories regarding bolts shearing off etc.
what kind of item could I use to heat up the metal sufficiently to reduce the risk of shearing the bolts. Would a torch a plumber used to solder be ok to use?as I am only doing this at home and won't need to use it very often am I correct in thinking this will be the safest and most cost effective way of doing so?

I use the same, a little gas blowtorch. It didn't have much effect on some really rusty old bolts under my Jeep, but the heat, combined with lots of penetrating fluid, eventually worked and, after a couple of attempts I managed to get them off. :)

Get the yellow 'Map Pro' torch gas as it has a significantly hotter flame than the normal propane blowtorches.

Blow torch should be okay. Just be patient and get it glowing red hot. Watch out for any rubber bushes near by...

Use blow torch to heat outside metal and then a squirt of freeze ya nuts off on the nut or bolt to rapidly cool it down never fails for me.

Get the yellow 'Map Pro' torch gas as it has a significantly hotter flame than the normal propane blowtorches.

THIS!!!!

My crank pulley wouldn't come off for anything except this stuf!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom