Heavy Steering 2012 GL350cdi (X164)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inquisitor

Car
GL350cdi
Looking for advice on heavy steering issue. Three weeks ago towed caravan with family (and kitchen sink, Et Al all camping stuff) to Brittany for summer Hols. 500 mile trip there, the GL just ate it up!

Whilst out there a few days after arriving and now running solo unhitched, I noticed after stopping at junctions and roundabouts when pulling away steering very heavy and had to be sometimes heaved both hands to steer. Other times steering no apparent issue.

So now back home and I've started to poke about, checked PAS fluid reservoir today and dipstick totally bone dry!!

Called local MB main dealer and got litre of fluid, topped up reservoir to max 20C mark which took just under 100ml of fluid, then bleed system by repeatedly turning steering wheel from lock to lock three or four times.

Went for a test drive, no discernible difference/improvement, steering not featherlight when stationary as it was a few weeks ago.

Not sure what to check or do now, other than book it in to MB.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any evidence of a leak on the pump or pipework tothe rack?

May be some mechanical damage to the pump due to running with the fluid low, but 100ml doesn't sound like a large amount.

Any evidence of a leak on the pump or pipework tothe rack?

May be some mechanical damage to the pump due to running with the fluid low, but 100ml doesn't sound like a large amount.

I had a good gander under the car, and with a lead light in and about the engine bay (it's all well packed in there), couldn't see any obvious oil leak or wetness.

Booked in for diagnostic at MB dealer tomorrow, hopefully it will be clear cut.

Took it for a drive last night, checked PAS fluid level this morning and no drop on the dipstick.

I had a good gander under the car, and with a lead light in and about the engine bay (it's all well packed in there), couldn't see any obvious oil leak or wetness.

Booked in for diagnostic at MB dealer tomorrow, hopefully it will be clear cut.

Took it for a drive last night, checked PAS fluid level this morning and no drop on the dipstick.

Took it to MB yesterday, issue diagnosed to a seized steering downshaft UJ. Apparently unsafe to drive so it's staying there to be fixed. So far £690 to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom