Heavy Steering Low Speeds - 2006 W221

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barrys320

Car
S320 CDI
Hi,

I need a bit of help trying to diagnose a steering fault I have on my 06 S320, W221.

I have no warning lights on the car, but am experiencing heavy steering on my car when turning at lower speeds. I have had it with the dealer and they can't seem to find a problem.

They checked the belts, no leaks anywhere and they don't think it's the power steering pump.

It seems like the car is confused and is over compensating (hugely) at low speeds, when it should only do this at high speed with the speed sensitive steering.

The steering is perfect as it should be with handbrake on and at low speeds when you drive away initially, but try turning it at low RPM at say 15-20 mph on anything like a 90 degree turn and the wheel stiffens up and you need two hands to try turn the wheel.

I've owned the car for two years and know how it drives, but the dealer said there is no problem with the car, but there definitely is, it wasn't doing this a few weeks ago and it is taking two hands to turn the wheel, as if the power steering isn't working at all.

The car had a brand new steering rack 9 months ago, and recently I had the steering wheel replaced for a wooden wheel. As much as this problem started after the wooden wheel was fitted, I don't think it could be connected.

Any ideas, as the garage doesn't know and I'm worried that I'll do more damage by continuing to drive it.

Maybe someone else has had a similar problem that might be able to help a bit?

Thanks for any help!!

Last edited:
Speed Sensitive steering

Hi Barry, I have pretty muc the same problem with my '09 E320, most of the time the steering is fine, never too light but that is probably cos it's a sport then it almost locks up at parking speed, not good, and obviously a problem if it were to get any worse.

Fluid has been replaced and is to level, local garage confirms the pump is fine and I can only think it is valving in the rack or electronics. I have seen some posts aboutmeeding to lubricate dried out or binding joints in the steering links but the problem is intermittent!!

How did you get on with your car, did you find a cure?

Please let me know when you can

Peter

Barrys320 is long gone...but to peteryorkshire...does your car have parameter steering...and might it be misfunctioning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom