Hehe, a daft memory....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB250D

The thread about the gearbox oil reminded me of this. A few years ago, my dad was about to travel from Nothern Ireland where we lived to Bisley (England) for a shooting competition. He had a diesel Discovery at the time, and asked me if I would drop the oil and filters first, as it was a long drive.
Changed the filter first, easy as it is upside down at the top of the engine bay. Then put it up on a kerb to change the oil. Big black oily streak from a missing gearbox drain plug down the underside. Whoops. Shouted for the old man to come out and have a look - I even got the crawler out for him to slide underneath.
The air turned blue. The neighbours called their childen inside. The air turned more blue. My dad called the dealer, who said "Yes, bring it in, and we'll have a look!"
Not prepared to drive it 12 miles with no box oil, he left the guy on the end of the phone deaf and mentally harmed with abuse - (the Disco was only a year old), we took the last resort - and looked at the manual.
Turned out the missing plug was a "wading" plug, for going in deep water, and the oil stains were just clutch dust soaked in water....
Haha, how foolish we felt,and how foolish the deale felt when it was all explained to him - he had never even heard of the wading plug! :crazy:

MB250D said:
Turned out the missing plug was a "wading" plug, for going in deep water, and the oil stains were just clutch dust soaked in water....
Haha, how foolish we felt,and how foolish the deale felt when it was all explained to him - he had never even heard of the wading plug! :crazy:

And the real joke is that ALL Landrover products have wading plugs!! Knowledgeable dealer that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom