Helicopter ditches in North Sea off Aberdeen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Helps that they only had 14 on board - which, from the report, would include the 2 pilots thus only 12 in the passenger cabin. With a full load of 18 pax the cabin of a Puma is ***** crowded, especially if you're the poor sod that gets the centre seat at the back! Thankfully seems all are out and safe. Yet another reason I'm glad I gave up that lark some years ago.

All this just to get home.
thumbnail.aspx

thumbnail.aspx

''The rest of the men arrived back on dry land by lifeboat – as they were unhappy about getting into the rescue helicopter, consultant in emergency medicine with NHS Grampian James Ferguson said.''

EC225 Super Pumas grounded. BBC News - Flights suspended after North Sea helicopter ditches

This is the third serious incident involving a Super Puma helicopter in the North Sea in just over three years.

All three aircraft were operated by Bond and manufactured by Eurocopter.

In February 2009, a Super Puma EC225, the same model as the helicopter involved in today's incident, ditched in fog a short distance from a BP oil platform in the ETAP field, 125 miles (200km) east of Aberdeen.

All 18 people on board survived. Crew error and a faulty alert system were blamed.

In April 2009, disaster struck a different model of the aircraft, an older AS332L2.

It was returning from BP's Miller oil platform when it suffered a catastrophic gearbox failure and crashed off Peterhead, killing all 16 people on board: two pilots and 14 oil workers.

Yep, it always seems to be Bond. Whether this is down to them flying more frequently than others (if indeed they do) or some other reason(s), I suspect they will soon have to explain.

Yep, it always seems to be Bond. Whether this is down to them flying more frequently than others (if indeed they do) or some other reason(s), I suspect they will soon have to explain.
Personally I hate helicoptor flight, uncomfortable, I've always thought unsafe and fundamentally undesirable and I've managed to avoid flying in them since July 1997.
From the newsreel I've seen the pilot did make what appeared to be quite a controlled landing, otherwise it could easily have been another 16 lost to the North Sea

Good to hear everyone is safe.

Bond aren't very lucky these days - they just renewed the Eurocopter flights.

Good to hear everyone is safe.

Bond aren't very lucky these days - they just renewed the Eurocopter flights.

The fact that the rescued refused the helicopter and took the boat back to the beach is telling us something I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom