Helicopter Traffic Enforcement??

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 14, 2002
Messages
9,755
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
I was on the A6 in the Peaks and saw on one stretch of road a few signs warning of Police Helicopter Traffic Enforcement!?

Never heard of this!

Is there a Helicopter detector available for the Road Angel? LOL
 

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 3, 2002
Messages
3,241
Location
Wales, U.K.
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
GrahamC230K said:
I was on the A6 in the Peaks and saw on one stretch of road a few signs warning of Police Helicopter Traffic Enforcement!?

Never heard of this!

Is there a Helicopter detector available for the Road Angel? LOL
:eek: I wonder if the use of SAM's would be deemed illegal?? :p :devil:

S.
 

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 21, 2002
Messages
6,283
Location
East Midlands
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
GrahamC230K said:
I was on the A6 in the Peaks and saw on one stretch of road a few signs warning of Police Helicopter Traffic Enforcement!?

Never heard of this!

Is there a Helicopter detector available for the Road Angel? LOL
They use the Police Helicopter to watch for Motorcyclists going to Matlock on a Sunday meet. ;)
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
Steve_Perry said:
:eek: I wonder if the use of SAM's would be deemed illegal?? :p :devil:

S.
Im Just waiting for that to be on Police camera action :D
 

PJH

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 5, 2003
Messages
2,254
Location
Feering,Essex
Car
C180k for Wifey, Focus Ecoboost 6 speed
I have never seem warning signs Re: Helicoptors, but have seen lots of white rectangles painted on road surfaces at regular intervals, eg 1/4 or 1/2 miles apart.
The air traffic Police can time vehicles over the fixed distances from the air, works like VASCAR.
Result:- your knicked.
 

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
3,176
Location
Sheffield
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
I use that road quite a lot and have seen the helicopter on quite a few ocations. It has to be said that no one seems to speed on the roads round there so the deterant seems to work. But as soon as you get off this and the surounding roads all hell seems to break loose, with bikes and some very nice and exotic cars driving like its a race track. Which is nice :devil:
 

NormanB

Active Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
458
Location
Portsmouth UK
Car
W210
Yes it is amazing when one considers the all up cost of operating helicopters including staff + pensions - that there seems to be no end of effort in policing the motorist - yet they are so bloody ineffective in apprehending the uninsured drivers (unless they are nabbed red handed after an accident).

Still compiling databases, importing data from insurance companies and DVLA and then running a couple of simple queries is way too technical and boring.
 
Last edited:

Plodd

Active Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2004
Messages
564
Location
Manchester
Car
2007 VW Golf R32
NormanB said:
Yes it is amazing when one considers the all up cost of operating helicopters including staff + pensions - that there seems to be no end of effort in policing the motorist - yet they are so bloody ineffective in apprehending the uninsured drivers (unless they are nabbed red handed after an accident).

Still compiling databases, importing data from insurance companies and DVLA and then running a couple of simple queries is way too technical and boring.
And the cost of 1 fatal accident is estimated to be well over £1,000,000.

And to let you know my unit probably catches 70/80 uninsured drivers a WEEK :eek: It now also appears that the government may be getting it's finger out and allow us to impound and crush uninsured vehicles being used on a road.
 

NormanB

Active Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
458
Location
Portsmouth UK
Car
W210
Plodd said:
And the cost of 1 fatal accident is estimated to be well over £1,000,000.

And to let you know my unit probably catches 70/80 uninsured drivers a WEEK :eek: It now also appears that the government may be getting it's finger out and allow us to impound and crush uninsured vehicles being used on a road.
I am sure you and your colleagues feel proud.

However, if I may raise my head above the parapet, 70 to 80 a week is about 1% of what is possible using good data crunching techniques.

I like the idea of crunching the cars but sadly for many it will be no real loss and a damn sight cheaper than having to pay for insurance.

Cut their goolies off thats what I say!
 

Plodd

Active Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2004
Messages
564
Location
Manchester
Car
2007 VW Golf R32
NormanB said:
I am sure you and your colleagues feel proud.

However, if I may raise my head above the parapet, 70 to 80 a week is about 1% of what is possible using good data crunching techniques.
Which wouldn't work because most of the people who don't get insurance don't have the cars registered in their own names anyway.
 

NormanB

Active Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
458
Location
Portsmouth UK
Car
W210
Plodd said:
Which wouldn't work because most of the people who don't get insurance don't have the cars registered in their own names anyway.
Well let us at least close that avenue for starters. If the named keeper does not have insurance it should not be on the highway! (change the law if necessary).
 

Plodd

Active Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2004
Messages
564
Location
Manchester
Car
2007 VW Golf R32
NormanB said:
Well let us at least close that avenue for starters. If the named keeper does not have insurance it should not be on the highway! (change the law if necessary).
It's already been done.
It's now the sellers job to inform DVLA of the new keepers details, but if they collect the vehicle from you and pay cash how do you know their details are correct?
The laws have been changed quite a lot recently regarding this but the determined toe-rag will always find a way :mad:
We have been discussing this very problem recently at work and the unwashed masses view a car as a must have. Whether they can afford it, or not :eek:
I think we have gone a little off topic with this one :rolleyes:
 

Ady

Active Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
127
Car
E 220d Estate
NormanB said:
Well let us at least close that avenue for starters. If the named keeper does not have insurance it should not be on the highway! (change the law if necessary).
Trouble is in my case, I am the registered keeper of my wifes new car as I bought it for her birthday with the finance, etc in my name. However, the insurance is in my wifes name with me down as just the spouse. Also I don't have insurance in my own name as I drive my car on the company's group policy so would that mean my wife would constantly be stopped even though everything is OK?
 

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 21, 2002
Messages
6,283
Location
East Midlands
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
Ady said:
Trouble is in my case, I am the registered keeper of my wifes new car as I bought it for her birthday with the finance, etc in my name. However, the insurance is in my wifes name with me down as just the spouse. Also I don't have insurance in my own name as I drive my car on the company's group policy so would that mean my wife would constantly be stopped even though everything is OK?
But I assume you have the same Surname, and the same address? If so no problem eh!! :rolleyes:
 

Ady

Active Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
127
Car
E 220d Estate
Brian WH said:
But I assume you have the same Surname, and the same address? If so no problem eh!! :rolleyes:
So one would hope but you obviously have more faith in computer systems than I :).
 

NormanB

Active Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
458
Location
Portsmouth UK
Car
W210
Ady said:
Trouble is in my case, I am the registered keeper of my wifes new car as I bought it for her birthday with the finance, etc in my name. However, the insurance is in my wifes name with me down as just the spouse. Also I don't have insurance in my own name as I drive my car on the company's group policy so would that mean my wife would constantly be stopped even though everything is OK?
OKay good point well made.

But as Harry Hill would say 'You have to have a system'

The assumption should be there should be a logic1 against both registered keeper and insurance for the vehicle, if there isn't then the 'System' kicks in and the registered keeper is challenged - you produce your 'evidence' to the police station with 10 days or else it assumed it is an illegal.

Hows about that then - as Jimmy Saville would say!
 

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 23, 2004
Messages
6,935
Car
C350
Traffic Police stop Jaguar driver...........................
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom