Helicopter Traffic Enforcement??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
I was on the A6 in the Peaks and saw on one stretch of road a few signs warning of Police Helicopter Traffic Enforcement!?

Never heard of this!

Is there a Helicopter detector available for the Road Angel? LOL

GrahamC230K said:
I was on the A6 in the Peaks and saw on one stretch of road a few signs warning of Police Helicopter Traffic Enforcement!?

Never heard of this!

:eek: I wonder if the use of SAM's would be deemed illegal?? :p :devil:

S.

GrahamC230K said:

Never heard of this!

They use the Police Helicopter to watch for Motorcyclists going to Matlock on a Sunday meet. ;)

Steve_Perry said:
:eek: I wonder if the use of SAM's would be deemed illegal?? :p :devil:

S.

Im Just waiting for that to be on Police camera action :D

I have never seem warning signs Re: Helicoptors, but have seen lots of white rectangles painted on road surfaces at regular intervals, eg 1/4 or 1/2 miles apart.
The air traffic Police can time vehicles over the fixed distances from the air, works like VASCAR.
Result:- your knicked.

I use that road quite a lot and have seen the helicopter on quite a few ocations. It has to be said that no one seems to speed on the roads round there so the deterant seems to work. But as soon as you get off this and the surounding roads all hell seems to break loose, with bikes and some very nice and exotic cars driving like its a race track. Which is nice :devil:

Yes it is amazing when one considers the all up cost of operating helicopters including staff + pensions - that there seems to be no end of effort in policing the motorist - yet they are so bloody ineffective in apprehending the uninsured drivers (unless they are nabbed red handed after an accident).

Still compiling databases, importing data from insurance companies and DVLA and then running a couple of simple queries is way too technical and boring.

Last edited:
NormanB said:
Yes it is amazing when one considers the all up cost of operating helicopters including staff + pensions - that there seems to be no end of effort in policing the motorist - yet they are so bloody ineffective in apprehending the uninsured drivers (unless they are nabbed red handed after an accident).

Still compiling databases, importing data from insurance companies and DVLA and then running a couple of simple queries is way too technical and boring.

And the cost of 1 fatal accident is estimated to be well over £1,000,000.

And to let you know my unit probably catches 70/80 uninsured drivers a WEEK :eek: It now also appears that the government may be getting it's finger out and allow us to impound and crush uninsured vehicles being used on a road.

Plodd said:
And the cost of 1 fatal accident is estimated to be well over £1,000,000.

And to let you know my unit probably catches 70/80 uninsured drivers a WEEK :eek: It now also appears that the government may be getting it's finger out and allow us to impound and crush uninsured vehicles being used on a road.

I am sure you and your colleagues feel proud.

However, if I may raise my head above the parapet, 70 to 80 a week is about 1% of what is possible using good data crunching techniques.

I like the idea of crunching the cars but sadly for many it will be no real loss and a damn sight cheaper than having to pay for insurance.

Cut their goolies off thats what I say!

NormanB said:
I am sure you and your colleagues feel proud.

However, if I may raise my head above the parapet, 70 to 80 a week is about 1% of what is possible using good data crunching techniques.

Which wouldn't work because most of the people who don't get insurance don't have the cars registered in their own names anyway.

Plodd said:
Which wouldn't work because most of the people who don't get insurance don't have the cars registered in their own names anyway.

Well let us at least close that avenue for starters. If the named keeper does not have insurance it should not be on the highway! (change the law if necessary).

NormanB said:
Well let us at least close that avenue for starters. If the named keeper does not have insurance it should not be on the highway! (change the law if necessary).

It's already been done.
It's now the sellers job to inform DVLA of the new keepers details, but if they collect the vehicle from you and pay cash how do you know their details are correct?
The laws have been changed quite a lot recently regarding this but the determined toe-rag will always find a way :mad:
We have been discussing this very problem recently at work and the unwashed masses view a car as a must have. Whether they can afford it, or not :eek:
I think we have gone a little off topic with this one :rolleyes:

NormanB said:

Trouble is in my case, I am the registered keeper of my wifes new car as I bought it for her birthday with the finance, etc in my name. However, the insurance is in my wifes name with me down as just the spouse. Also I don't have insurance in my own name as I drive my car on the company's group policy so would that mean my wife would constantly be stopped even though everything is OK?

Ady said:
Trouble is in my case, I am the registered keeper of my wifes new car as I bought it for her birthday with the finance, etc in my name. However, the insurance is in my wifes name with me down as just the spouse. Also I don't have insurance in my own name as I drive my car on the company's group policy so would that mean my wife would constantly be stopped even though everything is OK?

But I assume you have the same Surname, and the same address? If so no problem eh!! :rolleyes:

Brian WH said:
But I assume you have the same Surname, and the same address? If so no problem eh!! :rolleyes:
So one would hope but you obviously have more faith in computer systems than I :).

Ady said:

OKay good point well made.

But as Harry Hill would say 'You have to have a system'

The assumption should be there should be a logic1 against both registered keeper and insurance for the vehicle, if there isn't then the 'System' kicks in and the registered keeper is challenged - you produce your 'evidence' to the police station with 10 days or else it assumed it is an illegal.

Hows about that then - as Jimmy Saville would say!

Traffic Police stop Jaguar driver...........................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom