Helllo - I'm a Newbie seeking advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fakeindian

Car
SL55 AMG
Hi there,

I am new to the world of Mercedes and I have always had a soft spot for the SL55's so I have finally bit the bullet and decided to get one.

I am off to see this one tomorrow afternoon.*

Mercedes-Benz SL Class SL 55 AMG 2dr Auto 5.4 SUPERB EXAMPLE - FULL MERC S/H 2003

but the first thing I will be doing is changing the wheels - I need some advise and help on this - I have seen these*

19 INCH SL63 AMG MERCEDES ALLOY WHEELS | eBay

but I need to know:

Are they the correct fitment?

what are the best tyre sizes to get so that the traction control and speedo all work correctly - as well as best size for comfort without any rubbing?*

any help and advise will be gratefully received*

Thanks in advance*

Neil

Hi Neil,

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the planet!

The SL55 is an amazing car, that 55K engine will always put a smile on your face!

As for the wheels, don't be misled by that advert. This chap sells replica wheels and although he states they are made in Germany and all that, I beg to differ. Cheap replica wheels will crack and get out of shape rather quickly. There was a documentary on Panorama I think showing the dangers of buying them.

Personally, I'd buy the car and stick a wanted add on here for the wheels you want. Check this link below and it shows all the AMG wheels that will fit your car, it gives you the genuine part number and all the offsets too.

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wheels/sl_class_r230_alloys

All the best and keep us posted on the purchase.

David

Wow the real things are a lot more expensive - I will have to hold out for some real ones! Putting all the money into the car I was attracted to these for the price - I might get them as a stop gap till I find the right ones, I can't be dealing with the grandad wheels on there now and will hate cleaning them (on offence to anyone that has them - just not my taste)

This is all only going to happen if I buy the car of course ;)

Do these tyre sizes sound correct?

285/30/19 rear 255/35/19 front

:thumb:^ Yes, those are correct for the SL55.

Welcome to the forum ..... good choice of car too. Hope to see some pics when you finally purchase. Don't be swayed by the crazy speed these cars can reach.... all 55k engines are fast:D

Well I saw, I drove, I fell in love!!

I have put down a deposit and will be picking up in about a weeks time!

Can't wait to here the V8 noise again!!

Fakeindian said:
Well I saw, I drove, I fell in love!!

I have put down a deposit and will be picking up in about a weeks time!

Can't wait to here the V8 noise again!!

Brilliant! Another 55K convert! Welcome to AMG Land :)

Thanks man! I haven't stopped smiling all day - I'm going to have proper face ache when I actually have the car! :)

Ok I need help with wheels - the ones I was looking at are being sold by a bloke called Perry Waterman which I have read on this forum is not someone I should be dealing with!

I not they are not genuine and that doesn't bother me but after reading how he has treated customers/members I want to stay clear!

Can anyone point me to somewhere where I can find some decent alloys can't afford the originals as yet but just someone that sells decent alloys that are not going to die after going over 5 pot holes.

Thanks in advance once again.

Morning!

Best thing to do in my opinion is to search ebay for a genuine set. Don't waste your money on knock offs as they can be dangerous! 500bhp, sexy car, add fake wheels and its just taking something away from it!

Haggle for some money off the car and buy some genuine wheels ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom