Hello All - Bad day on Saturday!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squirrelcatcher

Car
C 220 Avantgarde SE CDI
Just recently bought a C220 2nd hand 54 plate. Developed an oil leak. Filled up with oil. White smoke starts coming out of exhaust. Thought, oops - too much oil. Will have to drain some.
Driving along a road in St Albans and suddenly the engine goes mental:eek:. Thick white smoke billowing out of exhaust - enough to stop the traffic. By this time, the engine is going ballistic with overreving. Stop car and turn off ignition, even removing key - no change - it sounds as though car is going to take off. It finally stops. Next thing I know, there's two fire engines, two police cars and even two paramedic vehicles (is St Albans the emergency services Ark?).
They close the road and a Fireman gets out and asks if I'm okay. Explain to him what happened. He says turbo blown, but they had received report of man trapped in burning car.
Two hours later I'm recovered by RAC. Car is now sat on driveway awaiting inspection by mechanic on Monday.
Not the best day. Just wonder how much that is going to sting me.

Yep feeding an "oil burner" its food - oil, via blown seals leads to catastrophic results.

Many a french derv car has died this way (apparently).

Last edited:
Thanks Ted

That is roughly what I understood from the description given to me by the RAC guy. Whilst clutching at straws, I wonder if there is any likelihood of the engine being okay.
Iwent through the old Freelander head gasket replacement process enough. Maybe I should have stuck to my boring but reliable Renault Megane!

There seems to be quite a few having this issue at the moment.

I had a Vauxhall Astra van in front of me a while back - exactly the same scenario. I stopped behind him and helped get his tools out of the back, but the thing went up in five minutes.....shutting the North Circular briefly while the Brigade rocked up and foamed it out.....very exciting.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

I suspect if the car stopped of it's own accord the engine is likely toast....

The reason the engine is running out of control is it's using the oil as fuel. It's only going to stop if something breaks, it runs out of oil so seizes or the air is cut off.

Bit late now, but if the turbo is suspect best not to run the car....

If you are brave enough the only chance of stopping it once it has run away is to block the air intake of , but as you have to be in engine bay to do this with a diesel engine that is revving way beyond its rev range with it screaming in your ear good luck and watch out for rods coming out the block lol

Unfortunately most likely new engine time...

If you are brave enough the only chance of stopping it once it has run away is to block the air intake of , but as you have to be in engine bay to do this with a diesel engine that is revving way beyond its rev range with it screaming in your ear good luck and watch out for rods coming out the block lol

Pretty ineffectual by all accounts as the flexible hoses implode and are ingested. Rumour has it the vacuum is sufficient to rip the skin from the palm of your hand...

On the other hand, a fire extinguisher decanted into the air intake will deprive the engine of oxygen and bring it to a stop.

Pretty ineffectual by all accounts as the flexible hoses implode and are ingested. Rumour has it the vacuum is sufficient to rip the skin from the palm of your hand...

On the other hand, a fire extinguisher decanted into the air intake will deprive the engine of oxygen and bring it to a stop.

The irony is that I usually carry a couple of 2 litre CO2 extinguishers for my job. Alas, not on this occasion!:doh:

That is a very sad story.

I am genuinely sorry to hear your tale of woe :(

Here's hoping you can source a decent used turbo and get things fixed relatively cheaply?

Keep us updated.

All the best,
Robert

Filled up with oil. Thought, oops - too much oil. Will have to drain some.

This is what caused the seals in the turbo to fail. You shouldn't have driven it with too much oil.

As said, it'll run to failure, so it's new engine time.

Other than CO2, if it was a manual, you can stop it with the clutch. Put it in the highest gear, and while holding the brake with your right foot, slowly release the clutch to use the clutch to brake the engine.

Last edited:
The op should have stopped the engine as soon as soon as the white smoke was spotted.
If the engine has not self destructed you will need new turbo, new CAT, new DPF, new exhaust, as all exhaust components will be full of oil and CAT will be destroyed.

I had this happen on an Audi A4 but without the engine running away, and it cost me about £2,0000 at an independent to fix.

It's not just French cars this happens to, as plenty of German cars also, especially BMW.

Just recently bought a C220 2nd hand 54 plate. Developed an oil leak. Filled up with oil. White smoke starts coming out of exhaust. Thought, oops - too much oil Will have to drain some.

They close the road and a Fireman gets out and asks if I'm okay. Explain to him what happened. He says turbo blown,.

If he'd known of the overfill he probably wouldn't have assumed turbo failure. Over fill is probably the sole reason for overspeed.

Diagnosis as suspected, my mechanic has recommended a new engine as other issues are also suspected.
The big question is where of I get another engine for a 54 plate C220 1.9 Avantgarde without selling my kids? Anyone any ideas? I'm in Bedfordshire, but I'm obviously not expecting one to be sat in next doors driveway.

Also, is this the right thread to continue on now that the discussion has changed from "event" to "sourcing engine".

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Start looking round the breakers' yards .

Plenty of crash damaged Mercs out there with perfectly good engines . A lot of the breakers advertise on eBay .

You could try a reputable engine remanufacturer like Crewe Engines who might take your knackered engine in part exchange ( depending on how badly damaged it is ) and supply you with a warranted rebuilt engine .

Crewe Engines Mercedes-Benz Vehicle Engine Remanufacturers Cheshire

An unknown engine out of a breakers yard will be cheaper , but something of a gamble .

Last edited:
Start looking round the breakers' yards .

Plenty of crash damaged Mercs out there with perfectly good engines . A lot of the breakers advertise on eBay .

You could try a reputable engine remanufacturer like Crewe Engines who might take your knackered engine in part exchange ( depending on how badly damaged it is ) and supply you with a warranted rebuilt engine .

Crewe Engines Mercedes-Benz Vehicle Engine Remanufacturers Cheshire

An unknown engine out of a breakers yard will be cheaper , but something of a gamble .

Thanks for your advice. I will give them a try first to see what level of pain I can tolerate.

Diagnosis as suspected, my mechanic has recommended a new engine as other issues are also suspected.
The big question is where of I get another engine for a 54 plate C220 1.9 Avantgarde without selling my kids? Anyone any ideas? I'm in Bedfordshire, but I'm obviously not expecting one to be sat in next doors driveway.

Also, is this the right thread to continue on now that the discussion has changed from "event" to "sourcing engine".

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

I would be tempted to sell the car for spares or repairs and just buy another one.

646 engines are quite expensive and you'll need a turbo too.

The cost of the repair might be more than the car is worth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom