Hello All newbe looking for advice before purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wenglish

Car
MERCEDES
Hello everyone I’m new to the group and looking at buying my first ever Mercedes I need a 7 seater and have decided on the E350 2010 onwards. There isn’t much around and I’m torn between the Mercedes E350 3.0 CDI estate sport 265bhp with around 80k miles on a 2011 plate or something else that’s popped up today is a Mercedes E350 sport 3.5 v6 petrol with AMG Sport pack with 306bhp with the M276 Engine but has 110k miles on a 2011 plate. As I’m new to Mercedes it’s obviously all new to me so I’d love your opinions on both engines please and what’s your recommendations

Thank you

Last edited:
I have the same 306bhp engine in my C350 and it’s great. The fuel consumption is only marginally worse than the diesel equivalent. Lots of people love the 350CDI, but I much prefer the even smoother petrol engine and its wider power range. The CDI has better torque, so if you might be pulling heavy trailers up into the valleys then that’s what you need. But if you’re going to be doing lots of short trips with just family on board, you’ll be better off with the petrol that won’t be prone to DPF issues.

Not familar with eithet engine, but on a general note:

- The current political climate is turning anti-Diesel, and if the Diesel engine is not Euro 6, there may be trouble ahead.

- Diesel engines can be very expensive to fix when they go wrong, from DPF to high-pressure fuel pump, to injectors and swirl flaps........

- On the plus side, if you do more than 15K miles annually, the Diesel will be cheaper to run.

Everything else being equal, personally I would take the petrol, but obviously look also at general condition, service history, and options (COMAND, HK sound, heated/ventilated front seats, HIDs, sunroof, leather vs Artico, driver's aids, 17" vs 18" wheels, etc etc)

Good luck with whichever way you choose to go.

I have the same 306bhp engine in my C350 and it’s great. The fuel consumption is only marginally worse than the diesel equivalent. Lots of people love the 350CDI, but I much prefer the even smoother petrol engine and its wider power range. The CDI has better torque, so if you might be pulling heavy trailers up into the valleys then that’s what you need. But if you’re going to be doing lots of short trips with just family on board, you’ll be better off with the petrol that won’t be prone to DPF issues.

Brilliant thanks for the reply literally all I’ll be doing is short trips with the family so sounds like the petrol is the better option then thank you

Thank you very good points raised definitely thin’ I’m going down the petrol route then just a little concerned around the 110k mileage but it’s full service history and looked after so fingers crossed it should be ok thanks again
Not familar with eithet engine, but on a general note:

- The current political climate is turning anti-Diesel, and if the Diesel engine is not Euro 6, there may be trouble ahead.

- Diesel engines can be very expensive to fix when they go wrong, from DPF to high-pressure fuel pump, to injectors and swirl flaps........

- On the plus side, if you do more than 15K miles annually, the Diesel will be cheaper to run.

Everything else being equal, personally I would take the petrol, but obviously look also at general condition, service history, and options (COMAND, HK sound, heated/ventilated front seats, HIDs, sunroof, leather vs Artico, driver's aids, etc etc)

Good luck with whichever way you chose to go.
hank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom