Hello and Help for an OldGirl (the car not me!) - Ignition not turning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldGirl

Car
Mercedes E 200 M Reg Automatic
Good Evening all you good People. I have just signed up tonight and would like to ask for your help please. My Old Girl is a Mercedes E200 Automatic M Reg which I am more than a tad sentimental about as she was originally my Daddy's car... basically I could not turn my key at all in the ignition on Friday - Hobbs rescued us and low loaded us back to my trusty mechanic where I left her. Having had a look at the Old Girl, he says the ignition barrel is broken and that he can't source the part. She only has 167000 ish miles on the clock and other than the key now not working has recently passed her MOT and been behaving perfectly. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a replacement barrel? I have been told today that it is basically the end of the line for the Old Girl and am heartbroken if this is the case. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Hi ignition barrels are on eBay new for about £10 a simple job to change if you can get key to turn stew

Thank you - I will have a look on e-bay ... the key won't turn the lock at all :(. My mechanic said it is the end of the line but I can't believe we can't do something. I will look at 124 ignition barrel on you tube too. Much appreciated

Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear you're having issues with your old girl. I too have an old girl but so far I've never had an issue getting parts for her (well the Indy hasn't, not actually me!).

Hopefully you can get it sorted.

Ps look on YouTube for 124 ignition barrel removal
If only I knew this before she threw a tantrum... I'm going to head back to the garage tomorrow and sit and quietly work at getting the key to turn to position 1 and then we are in business ... will just have to purchase the new assembly on e-bay. Thank you so much!

Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear you're having issues with your old girl. I too have an old girl but so far I've never had an issue getting parts for her (well the Indy hasn't, not actually me!).

Hopefully you can get it sorted.
Thanks MissyD - she is my baby and I am very attached to her so will do everything I can to get her back on the road. She drives like a dream and she's only got 168 0ld thousand miles on the clock so is barely worn in. Keeping everything crossed at the moment :)

Do that, he knows me & my vito very well.hes a great lad imho

Have any luck today??
Hi Big Un. Sorry for the radio silence but I have been inundated at work. I'm on it today and will let you know how it goes. My apologies for a lack of response... The joys of working for the NHS

A seized steering lock should not be a "car breaker " Altho dificult to access in extremis they can ultimately be removed with the use of cold chisels/mini angle grinders etc.

A seized steering lock should not be a "car breaker " Altho dificult to access in extremis they can ultimately be removed with the use of cold chisels/mini angle grinders etc.
Thank you. I'm going up to try both keys to see if I can coak it into turning. I have a new barrel on order so keeping everything crossed

Out of interest, this isn't one of those situations where the steering lock has jammed the ignition is it? - I assume that it isn't, but sometimes it's worth excluding the obvious.

Is it a "smart" key, or the older cut key? - If it's cut, any chance that it's just slightly off and you need to pull the key out slightly to turn it? I've got one key for the Nissan that's like that.

Out of interest, this isn't one of those situations where the steering lock has jammed the ignition is it? - I assume that it isn't, but sometimes it's worth excluding the obvious.

Is it a "smart" key, or the older cut key? - If it's cut, any chance that it's just slightly off and you need to pull the key out slightly to turn it? I've got one key for the Nissan that's like that.

No I don't think it's the steering lock. The steering wheel was moving whilst I tried to turn the key. It's a straight forward key older key

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom