Hello and.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissVix

Car
E220 CDI coupe
Hiya,

I am a long-time MB admirer and wanting that famed MB build quality and ride comfort. I am looking at buying a 2014-2016 E220/350 diesel coupe. Initially it was a C220/250 but the prices are the same - approx £11k-£13k - and the E is better looking and better equipped. If you have any advice for me that would be great.

The only thing that concerns me is the fact that the E class is the same price as the C class. By and large the BMW 5 series is more expensive than a 3 series so why is the E class not more expensive than a C? Does this mean that the E class is a) horrendously expensive to run because they keep breaking, b) very reliable but when they break down they cost a fortune, or c) some other troublesome reason I haven't thought about?

Hi and welcome 👍

The E class coupe is built on the C class chassis.
The E class saloon and estate have their own chassis.

There is a group of people who don't want the E class because 'it's too big'.

My only piece of advice would be, if you can find one for sensible money, consider the E350 petrol engine, rather than the diesel.

Thanks everyone!

Why the E350 petrol?

And if people think the E class is too big, hence not being more expensive than a C class, how come BMW 5 series aren't as cheap as 3 series or Audi A6s as cheap as A4s?

Last edited:
Just because the diesels tend to have a lot of emissions trickery bolted to them that can go wrong in somewhat rare cases (although of course those rare cases get mentioned a lot on forums like this because people come here for help).
The petrols tend to burn cleaner and don't need as much bolted on e.g. DPF (diesel particulate filter).
If you were looking at the V6 350 diesel, the V6 350 petrol is hardly any less efficient in the real world, but more expensive to buy due to significant rarity.
If you're looking at 20k miles a year, the diesel is a better option. If you're looking at single figure thousands of miles, my recommendation would be the petrol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom