Hello from a car mad Aussie moving to Aberdeen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firthy

Car
M5 v10, Evo FQ360, Maserati MCV
Hi all,

Great forum! As the thread title states, my family are relocating to Aberdeen with work and a lifestyle change. My wife is English and we love the UK so cannot wait to get the move behind us. I have owned many cars over the years and cannot get over just how cheap cars are in the UK :thumb:

I have spent countless hours reading and researching on what to buy and the c63 looks to me to be the pick of the crop (the only car that makes me doubt my conclusion is the e63). I have owned many classic Aussie muscle cars over the years and the c63 seems to come closest to those noisy, angry V8's l love so much. Look forward to hanging around learning and contributing on these great cars so mid year when my time comes l can pick up a facelifted c63.

Cheers,
firthy

firthy

Welcome to Scotland.

Having a cousin in Oz that raced big Holden V8s you will do no wrong with a C63 if you can accept it's a bit smaller than you are used to noise wise and grunt-strewn. It's a superb car.

However, you MUST consider the big Vauxhall VXR8 as it is basically a Holden Commodore GTS

Hi LTD,

Its interesting that you raise the VXR8 aka HSV Clubsport. I am a mild HSV fan and liked their cars up until the VX/VY wheen the styling started to get too loud and try hard. The current models simply look ridiculous, I would have to be blind to drive one! In Oz the Clubsport costs ~75k on the road and a new c63 ~ 170k and the c63 still sells very well. A 3 yr old c63 is still pulling close to 100k so the resale and demand are strong.

In the UK a c63 seems like a bargain!

Cheers,
firthy

Drive a VXR8 ;)

Thanks Woody

Drive a VXR8 ;)

I have many times, dont care for the interior, the looks, the engine with little torque down low where it matters, the gearboxes...... and l could go on. The resale is probably pretty dire in the UK too l would imagine. I would much rather a Ford FPV GT with the 5.0L Supercharged V8, but not imported in the UK l believe.

Cheers
firthy

You need a C63 then.

... or a Shelby Mustang.

Grober,

Yeah l have been wondering about that. roads around Aberdeen are generally very poor. The trek to work each day is on back roads and an opportunity for fun, my thinking is that the c63 will be handle more tightly the narrow roads but l am trading that off against the ride quality. The c63 is probably a little kinder on fuel and tyres but I doubt there is much in that, but I much prefer the look of the facelifted c63 over the e63 and that's probably the biggest hurdle to e63 ownership

firthy

Just get an S500 and enjoy the rest of your life in comfort.

I know I make sense.

I dont know much about the S500 LTD, l will do some reading. In Oz anything MB starting with an S is so esoteric l usually block them out

The S Class is the luxury end of the market.

May well have the grunt and performance of the V8 but without the 'on-the-edge' feel of the uber-sports.

The advantage is driving at 'normal' speeds there is a poise and grace that makes the journey effortless. It's a luxury car that does not need to be driven at full chat to enjoy but can certainly press on when needed on the motorway.

If you really hanker after the cutting edge on B-Class roads - look into the Nissan GTR. It's a Sony Playstation on wheels.

The smaller size of the C63 would certainly prove an advantage on the narrower back roads. However the rarity of the E63 would mean it will hold its value better when it comes to trade in time --- too many C63's around now --- possibly a reflection on what a bargain they are. ;) You pays your money etc etc Try getting a test drive on the local roads- your problem will be getting your hands on a E63 to try :( Hope you find the car you want.:thumb:

I have considered the GTR and am in 2 minds on that. I drove an Evo IX for 3.5 yrs before the move and loved the performance, had no problem with the harsh ride and apart from the NVH it was the best car l have ever owned. A c63 is probably a luxury cruiser in comparison! The other thing l am wondering is if the facelifted c63 has closed the gap a little on the e63 in refinement with the new gearbox and ongoing evolution.

Cheers
firthy

The smaller size of the C63 would certainly prove an advantage on the narrower back roads. However the rarity of the E63 would mean it will hold its value better when it comes to trade in time --- too many C63's around now --- possibly a reflection on what a bargain they are. ;) You pays your money etc etc Try getting a test drive on the local roads- your problem will be getting your hands on a E63 to try :( Hope you find the car you want.:thumb:

I think you are right on the test drive or lack off. When my family moves next month we intend taking 10 days off and doing some touring down south so I might try and fit a few test drives in at that time. Certainly the local dealer has nothing at all to get excited about. With the release of the new 5.5TT in the e63 there could be a few 6.2lt e63's coming onto the market so it might be good buying time.

Resale wise they seem to be holding similarly from my basic price hunting, the c63 has a much bigger following and the update takes it to another level. It puts up a good fight against its bigger brother.

Hi and welcome Firthy :thumb:

Car prices back home (for you) seem bonkers. Still seeing even E55k's up for silly money. Just looked at Carpoint - AU$108,000 for an '04 :eek:

Anyway, welcome and looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Welcome to the forum Firthy, it's a good dilemma you've got there.

I'd recommend the W212 E63, they were roughly £90k new three year ago and they are hitting £40k's now, so they've lost most of their value already (if you're one for residuals).

There are a fair few C63 owners on here that I'm sure would be able to tell you all of the ins and outs of them.

Welcome aboard Firthy. It will be interesting to see what your chosen chariot is when the time comes.

Hi and welcome Firthy :thumb:

Car prices back home (for you) seem bonkers. Still seeing even E55k's up for silly money. Just looked at Carpoint - AU$108,000 for an '04 :eek:

Anyway, welcome and looking forward to hearing how you get on.

They sure are. How about a 2006 Porsche 911 Turbo for 200k - $360k when new !!

Thanks for the welcome guys, this is certainly a friendly forum.

Cheers,
firthy

Hello Firthy, welcome to Aberdeen! Yep, roads & rush hour is very bad here in the deen unfort. Would defo recommend an AMG but i do not commute, if i did i would buy a second hand cheapie for the run to work. Some great roads out west to take the V8 for a spin though, especially the run to glenshee! Lol! Anyway, if you are interested will be selling my C55 AMG in the coming months...not sure when as yet. I am testing the C63 Coupe this week at John Weir mercedes. They have some good deals on at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom