Hello from Germany & a question of buying british vehicles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neutra

Car
W123, W114, W110
Hello everyone,

I'm Chris, 33 years old and I'm living in Germany. I'm driving several W123 since I have my driver's licence. Additionally, as you might expect, cars come and go, some of them stay, and whoops you got sort of a collection. In my case, a W114, two 123's a fintail and other stuff, like a tractor and a crop harvester (well, yes... I know ...). I'm well organized in the German classic car szene, and a long therm member of serveral Forums. I joined you, because I've been several times to Britain and always loved to chat with locals about their cars. Now I got a question, and maybe someone can help me out a bit. I'm not only interested in old Mercs, but as far as I know, owners of these cars have usually a destinct eye for details. My interest doesn't end with old Merc's, I've always been looking occasionally for old lorries, too. I've had an old Mercedes from 1975 until last year. A friend of mine sort of fell in love with it and after almost a year I wasn't able to stand the weekly phone calls anymore and finally sold it to him. Now there's a problem with old lorries. Once you had one, you feel like half human when it's gone. So I started looking for something different and older. I stumbled over the Bedford O Series some years ago, but never really payed attention to them. But I've recently come back from New Zealand, and I found some of them there, and I have to admit, I love them. Slightly jet-legged, I went on ebay UK and accidentially found one. I only buy and collect vehicles in entirely original condition. I have no clue if this O Type could be saved in it's patinated condition. Now there's quite a big question: Is anybody located in the area around Birmingham and would like to have a look at this old lorry for me? I'm too far apart in Bavaria, but I would of course pay for any costs. Please contact me via PN in this case. Additionally, maybe someone knows other marketplaces where I could look for such vehicles occasionally?
For this being a Mercedes Forum, I've got of course a few pictures of two of my cars. The brown 240 one is my daily, except in winter, but it has to work quite hard for me, and even has to stand some extended trips from time to time.
By the way, I haven't found a forum for old lorries or something similar, so I thought it was best to ask people whom are tinkering with the same vehicles like I do.

Have a nice day!
Chris

Hi & welcome ... I hope someone will be able to help you out :)

Hello Chris and welcome!

You mentioned being contacted by PM, you need a minimum of 30 posts before this becomes active, you could try using the "Contact us" button and asking one of the admin team to give you this privilege earlier.

Hello and welcome!

To continue on availability (or lack thereof) of PM for new members, I believe the email option is not restricted, so if you allow yourself to be contacted by email (in your Control Panel), members should be able to communicate with you privately.

Welcome Chris, nice to see you here. Have fun.

....Now there's a problem with old lorries. Once you had one, you feel like half human when it's gone. So I started looking for something different and older. I stumbled over the Bedford O Series some years ago, but never really payed attention to them. But I've recently come back from New Zealand, and I found some of them there, and I have to admit, I love them.....
Welcome Chris! That's a very engaging first post :) I'm also intrigued by your comment about being not complete once you become lorryless.
You've reminded me of the lorry that I've wanted to find again for years. It was a recovery truck: short, stubby almost, but in my eyes perfectly proportioned. I saw it once only in South London in the early 80s and it was love at first sight! I know today (because your post inspired me to look it up) that it is a Bedford TK and it looked very similar to this photo, but blue and simpler.
924977bc29e052559550e2cc4e59bb66.jpg

When I get back to England and have a house with enough space, I'm now tempted to get. Ideally a flatbed, but the recovery winch would come in handy if my car starts getting unreliable!

Herzlich willkommen

Herzlich willkommen.... to MBClub.co.uk.

While this is not a normal Mercedes Club question, it is always good to ask:

1) I have an engineer friend who has a deep interest and experience with Bedford Trucks, including ex-British Military.
He is a lifelong vehicle engineer, not just a casual enthusiast / consumer so brings many skills to the table.

I will pass your details to him. He may be able to help, or know someone more local who can help.

I'm sure he could be rigorous in assessing the vehicle as well as having a good understanding of what else might be available and other sources for elderly Bedford trucks

2) Have you seen this Bedford Enthusiasts club?

The Bedford Enthusiasts Club

Best wishes

Mike

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

this is indeed a very warm Welcome! As I expected, Mercedes guys are pretty much the same, all across Europe. Thanks for posting all these helpful information! I will have a closer look within the following days.
By the way, as I saw the recovery truck, which gr1inch posted, I remembered meeting a group of crazy travellers in western Sahara, when I've been there back in 2013. They used an old Bedford All Wheel Drive vehicle to cross Africa. You'll find them when you search for: Vikings across Africa.

My_1st_impressions_-Vikings-across-Africa-crew.jpg

When we met them, we thought all of them have to be completely nuts, to travel across Europe and Africa, caved in a Box, doing hardly 60 Kph flat out (most of them, on the other hand, didn't understand why you should travel around in the desert with a two wheel drive, underpowered Mercedes).

Anyway, I'm happy to have joined you, I hope I can answer some questions in the future and participate properly.

The search for a little lorry isn't really pressing, I thought about finding one within the next few years. I don't think these things are easy to find.

Have a nice sunday!

Welcome, lovely to see some splendid older Benzes in your collection.

Another place to hunt apart from Ebay is CarandClassic. No O series currently, but this gets a lot of throughput.

Welcome to MBClub. Now that's what I call a first post! Fascinating stuff.

I'm near Birmingham, but unfortunately my complete lack of knowledge of the Bedford O-Series - and old trucks in general - would mean that I would only be able to confirm whether the truck exists, and look the seller in the eye, but not much more i'm afraid!

Post some photos of your other vehicles, past and present, I'm sure many of us would like to see more of your collection :thumb:

Good luck with your search!

Welcome Chris! That's a very engaging first post :) I'm also intrigued by your comment about being not complete once you become lorryless.
You've reminded me of the lorry that I've wanted to find again for years. It was a recovery truck: short, stubby almost, but in my eyes perfectly proportioned. I saw it once only in South London in the early 80s and it was love at first sight! I know today (because your post inspired me to look it up) that it is a Bedford TK and it looked very similar to this photo, but blue and simpler.
924977bc29e052559550e2cc4e59bb66.jpg

When I get back to England and have a house with enough space, I'm now tempted to get. Ideally a flatbed, but the recovery winch would come in handy if my car starts getting unreliable!

That picture takes me back . My dad was a haulage contractor and Bedford TK tipper trucks were the mainstay of his fleet ( must have been 30 odd of them ) as well as several Albion Super Reivers and an assortment of other machines .

Welcome, love my visits to Germany. For general info on trucks, have a look at TruckNet Uk. Lots of interesting articles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom