Hello from sunny Dorset! W202 Newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benzin, Nov 9, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    Benzin

Benzin Active Member

Car:
    W202 TD Sport Estate
    Howdy! Yeah the HID's arrived over the weekend as did the new grill, I was away in Exeter for the weekend so as soon as saturday rolls around I'll be out there fitting & photographing them!!

2. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Let me know how you get on please ...

The other half has offered to buy a set for a birthday pressie ....

Need to know that there are no faults or errors come up on the dash !

H

3. BaldGuy

BaldGuy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Cayenne Turbo + 911 + GS430 Sport
    Whats that old retro Opel tucked away in the barn??

4. stevesey

stevesey MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Alfa 156 1.8TS
    Also of course the bluer they are the more noticeable they are to any keen boys in blue who might start querying the lack of headlamp washers and auto levelling.

Personally I'd go for the 4300Ks

5. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    What colour are MB OEM xenons ?

I'd probably go for the 6000k ones , seems to be the norm colour for most xenons ....

6. Adam230K

Adam230K MB Enthusiast

Car:
    German oil burner

Yes.

And i've like to add:

i've had my xenons (8000K) in my car for 1 year and 5 months, passed 2 MOTs, no self-levelling headlamp/wash hoo-haa that everyone bangs on about and i haven't been stopped once.

Cant wait til i do !

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  7. OP
    OP
    Benzin

Benzin Active Member

Car:
    W202 TD Sport Estate
    Give this man a beer! Well spotted! Its one of two of my Chevettes, its the estate model, pretty hard to find one nowerdays. The other is a hatchback, both of which have done less than 50k miles each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My estate has now replaced my Astra TD, but I've still kept as its my first car. Always had a thing for the Chevette as I grew up with one.

8. OP
    OP
    Benzin

Benzin Active Member

Car:
    W202 TD Sport Estate
    Fitting 8000k HID Kit

Got out there & made the most fo the daylight even though it was a bit damp.

Its pretty straight forward fitting this kit, pretty much like changing a light bulb. Just pop off the cap at the back of the headlight & unplug the bulb you're intending to replace, in this case the H7 dipped beam (black plug)

[​IMG]

Check the polarity of the plug with a multimeter.

[​IMG]

Yellow = Live & Brown = Earth

[​IMG]

Did a quick test before fitting to check the ballasts & bulbs worked, its a straight forward plug from the HID kit to the Merc's H7 bulb plug.

[​IMG]

Now as you have the ballast to think about you'll have to drill out the back of the headlight cap for the extra wires.

[​IMG]

Place the bulb through the new hole & fit the grommet. The Red & Black wires going into the grommet will plug into the Black H7 plug inside the headlight housing & the other two black wires on the left are connected to the HID bulb & lead back to the Ballast.

[​IMG]

Its then a case of carefully fitting the bulb within the headlight, remembering not to touch the bulb, once in place, replace the black cap & secure the ballast to the inner wing away from any heat source.

[​IMG]

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]

As you can see the pattern is near on identical, so when I get time I will pop down to the local garage to check for MoT worthyness if the pattern is clear enough to pass or if they are not too bright.

This took about 45mins to fit & there are no issues with the bulb failure light on the dash, all works fine. Just need to test them out tonight to see if they really work!

9. OP
    OP
    Benzin

Benzin Active Member

Car:
    W202 TD Sport Estate
    Mandatory arty after shot - while I was messing with the bulbs I fitted the new grill :D

[​IMG]