Hello from Walton on Thames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leef44

Car
SLK 55 AMG, Suzuki Vitara
Currently not a MB owner. I used to have a CL420 MY97. Just loved it for its smooth V8 and creature comforts but was missing the V8 rumble. I've joined the forum because I'm saving up for an SLK55 AMG. Just need to have a V8 in my life but would like something compact. The open top will keep me closer to the rumble from the exhaust :thumb:

I've gone from Civic type-R to Subaru Impreza to TVR T350. So I do love my performance cars but now I'm middle-aged, I just need my creature comforts so Mercedes offer the sweet compromise with the SLK.

Welcome aboard.

What was the CL like as a daily driver, if indeed you used it as one?

Hello from Teddington :)

Hi & welcome, I lived in Walton for years and my parents are still there :)

Always had a soft spot for TVRs ... never brave enough to buy one though :D

Welcome aboard.

What was the CL like as a daily driver, if indeed you used it as one?

Thanks.

Mine was the 1997 model CL, back in the days when the car design was controlled by engineers and not accountants. I'm an accountant so I can talk :eek:

I loved the little details. Everything you touch or see was made from high quality stuff e.g. the switches, the feel of the steering wheel, the roof lining. It's a comfortable luxurymobile.

I was too young to appreciate it though. It's a car you cruise around in at a slow pace. It will corner beautifully flat but you will slide across the driving seat which feels more like a soft leather sofa.

At 2.2 tonnes in weight, the 4.2 V8 engine struggled with only 270bhp. I think I would appreciate it more now, not feeling the need to keep up with modern day hot hatches.

Hi & welcome, I lived in Walton for years and my parents are still there :)

Always had a soft spot for TVRs ... never brave enough to buy one though :D

Cheers.

The TVR was a real WOW factor. I would highly recommend it as an experience in your life. As long as you can be forgiving for its foibles. It's more a car you live with rather than rely on. But when you are driving it, you just forget everything else and appreciate it for its exhilarating visceral fun factor.

As a second car for the Sunday morning drive or the odd outing - that's what it's good for. Some people do use it as a daily driver but for me it's too hard work.

Welcome from Weybridge.

Hehe! very local.

I like your selection of owned vehicles :thumb:. You're very dedicated to Mercedes.

Have you ever fancied a change to another manufacturer though?

Yes, I have only owned Mercedes apart from a Rover Coupe and BM 740iL which I had for six years, a great car.

I have driven lots of other marques and found I just like the way Mercedes drive. Not to keen on the new models, as you said built by the accounts dept :eek:

The CL I have is a keeper, the only other car I would like would be the 911 turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom