Hello I have a w211 starting issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrewc1267

Car
sprinter
Hello I have a w211 starting issue the key turns but I get no ignition lights and none start this happens intermittently with both keys the EIS has already been replaced when this happens the car has lots of CAN faults stored in most of its modules if I clear the codes and rescan there is nothing stored until the fault happens then it has the CAN faults stored I hope someone has an answer to this as it's driving me crazy

Battery voltage good? Battery leads good? Groundings good? No moisture in footwells, under door sills (Can distribution connector are there)? No moisture in front or rear SAMs?

The above is all good stuff Andrew,especially damp issues

Update the SRS light does come on then off as does the lights on the instrument cluster no gauges either when the fault is present if I turn the key off on a few times the instrument cluster will stay on and the car will Start it does start sometimes when the instrument cluster if off but the cooling fan runs at full speed and the car has no radio no wipers no indicators ect

The EIS I changed was secondhand I had the data swapped over as I thought this was the fault but the fault is exactly the same

Update I removed the front and rear Sam today and also the gateway under the drivers knee panel the gateway and rear Sam are perfect the front Sam had corrosion on the circuit board where the pins link the circuit board to the fuse/ relay holder I have cleaned up asp best I can but still hasn't solved the issue is the front Sam coded to the car as there are plenty on eBay same part number as mine the car is a 2004 w211 320cdi il6

Becoming really desperate to get this sorted out any help would be greatly appreciated

Becoming really desperate to get this sorted out any help would be greatly appreciated
Getting the same part number for the SAM is ideal but it may still need coding depending on what options are coded on your car and the replacement unit.

I think you should consider getting the car to someone with Star so a proper diagnosis can be carried out.

Hi thanks for the reply I have xentry it's strange if I clear all faults none return until the ignition lights come on and off and the fan runs at full speed after that there's nearly 100 faults in all the modules so really difficult to pin point but generally codes are relating to canbus and communication when the fault is not present the car works perfectly there's also no pattern to it hot cold raining ect I'm going to do a continuity test between the pins and the board on the front Sam I want to be sure what parts it needs I don't want to be endlessly throwing parts at it but I am prepared to fix it if it's economical to do so

Update I have done all said checks and all is okay I'm still having issues with the starting I turn the key and the ignition lights come on and off and the car won't start sometimes it does but the cooling fan runs at full speed the EIS I fitted was second hand I had the data swapped I have spoken with Merc and new one is £300 I have a valid C5 so can order theft relavent parts what checks can I do to properly test the EIS before I order a replacement I want to be sure thanks in advance

This video may or may not help as your mention of the cooling fans coming on at high speed reminded me of it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If STAR can still access the old front SAM, just copy the coding over to a used SAM.

Sounds to me likely front SAM or ECU or the connectors to it as you say you found corrosion, this can cause open circuits or low voltage due to high resistance, the fan running at high speed points to this as if the ECU does not get a temperature reading from the coolant sensor it will go into survival mode ie full speed to protect the engine from overheat, plus the CAN faults etc, also check the ECU pins for corrosion because this can cause all sorts of faults, I believe if you get the exact part no of the SAM including software no, it wont need coding, 99% sure as it's all to do with what options are fitted to the car. Try removing the front SAM and giving the areas of corrosion a good clean with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush! and inspect it with a magnifying glass to make sure its clean especially all chips and tracks. good luck.
Check the live data from coolant sensor with star before and after cleaning SAM as well.

Thanks I have opened up the front Sam the the pins that connect the bottom circuit board to the fuse box where corroded where the pins connect to the board I have cleaned up and resoldered fault still exists I'm going to take it to work tomorrow and have a really good look

I have checked the feeds coming out EIS both physically and diagnostically and everything is present and correct does anyone know if there is another CAN gateway other than the one above the drivers kick panel

Before you go too far buying bits watch this video on you tube
it's for a E500 but I believe it's all common wiring or very similar. It's a bit long winded but he does do a good job! It all boiled down to a corroded fuse blade on the fuse that feeds the ECU with 12 volts Fuse F42 inside the car. I'm not saying it will be this but if you watch the video it might help you understand a bit more about this circuit and save you some time and money. double check the front SAM as well for corroded parts as you said your fault is intermittent so this could be your problem, also earth ground cables that connect to ECU. Good luck!

Before you go too far buying bits watch this video on you tube
it's for a E500 but I believe it's all common wiring or very similar. It's a bit long winded but he does do a good job! It all boiled down to a corroded fuse blade on the fuse that feeds the ECU with 12 volts Fuse F42 inside the car. I'm not saying it will be this but if you watch the video it might help you understand a bit more about this circuit and save you some time and money. double check the front SAM as well for corroded parts as you said your fault is intermittent so this could be your problem, also earth ground cables that connect to ECU. Good luck!
I have checked all that out today and all the voltages are correct at the ECU I have checked on live data from the EIS and when my dash lights come on then off the EIS drops the +15 according to the live data

Have u checked the can voltages ?? High and low can should add up to approx 5v if not u have an issue what units are reporting the issues.
If they all talk to the front Sam then that is your issue corrosion can play havoc with can systems so u need to get the Sam sorted first then re access

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom