Hello, just bought my first Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marm

Car
1997 W202 C250
Thought I'd better introduce myself... just bought a 1997 C250 (W202). It's a fairly basic manual "esprit" estate with 167000 on the clock. Rusty arches, and due a service, but seems solid and goes well. I love it.

Weirdly I saw it for sale outside a local repair garage (Automerc), got a good feeling, had a quick look, and then later discovered it had previously belonged to a friend/colleague - he had passed it on to them after giving up on a repair, they fixed it and then used it as their runabout for a few years. He remembers it as a hard-to-trace fuel line issue, they said they put a secondhand gearbox in it... I suspect they are right but in any case they sorted it.

Anyway, knowing a good part of its history I decided to go for it (after managing to knock £250 off the asking price). :cool:

Here it is. I like the colour. And the wheels.

25079908433_ddefa79c28_b.jpg

25076070854_7a311fa0d1_b.jpg

Took the family to the seaside in it today - a hundred odd miles and it behaved really well. Smokes a bit if you boot it but pulls, rides and stops well and everything seems to work.

Bound to have a few questions over the coming days/weeks/months, but that'll do for now. Cheers all!

Welcome.

It looks good in the photos and it's a nice colour too. Enjoy.

Got the haynes manual today... my colleague had kept it and passed it on to me. I think I might service it myself. Any pointers gratefully received. No history so I don't know where we're at - will start with the basics - fresh oil and filters can't hurt.

Lovely ride! enjoy it, and good to see you want to maintain it well. I'm in love with your blue. I got silver

Took it for a good run this weekend. 250 miles on less than half a tank, it kept up with the traffic on the fast lane of the M4 with ease. What a fantastic car - I am now a Mercedes man!

After the run the car seemed to smoke less...(nothing visible in the rear view mirror even with my foot to the floor for a while) obviously just needed an "italian tuneup" :D

Welcome and congrats. I am sure it will give you many miles of driving pleasure and you will find loads of help tips and advice if needed on here. Got my first merc in 96 and have strayed a few times but keep coming back. Mercs really are a pleasure to own, drive and just admire. Enjoy!

Cool colour!

Investigate and arrest any rust as soon as possible, that means:

Sill trims off, bumpers off, wings off, rust arrestor and your choice of good protective paint, watch our for jacking points etc.

All easy repairs with 0.6 mig wire and a cheapo welder. Fortunately most of the rust starts out of sight and underneath trim etc, so any repairs don't need to be visible body work perfect or colour matched etc.

Beers.

Cool colour!

Investigate and arrest any rust as soon as possible, that means:

Sill trims off, bumpers off, wings off, rust arrestor and your choice of good protective paint, watch our for jacking points etc.

All easy repairs with 0.6 mig wire and a cheapo welder. Fortunately most of the rust starts out of sight and underneath trim etc, so any repairs don't need to be visible body work perfect or colour matched etc.

Beers.

Thanks! I agree with you in spirit...I love the car and wish I had the time and energy to preserve it for eternity...but with a young family (and numerous projects on the go), time is pretty tight. So I'm fighting the urge to do anything of the sort. It has started to rust on the sills and arches and as much as I'd like to tidy it up my intention is to leave it... "let it rust" is my new motto.

I've had a few quite a few rusty cars / "classics" over the years and I know from experience that treating a "little bit of rust" can end up with weekends lost, finding more and more rust, and ultimately just getting fed up with a car that sucks all my time. The Merc will never be a minter but I'm sure it has a few more years of being functional transport and that's good enough for me. If it fails future MOTs I will get it patched and take the next year as it comes...

I do however intend to change the oil very soon.

Good news is that it functioned faultlessly on a recent tour of the Netherlands and returned 42mpg. Not bad for a big old bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom