hello, new person with a question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nino

hello all
im after some help, i dont own a merc mysef (dad has a 1990 250d, 2003 ml270 and 2006 sprinter) but i do a landrover.
i want to put in a merc diesel engine in my landrover project that im building along the lines of a sprinter 312
my question is are there any cars out there that have the same engine as the sprinter one to use as a doner

or if any 1 else could recomend any other diesel engine not goin ott or too many electrics as i will be using it for off road woud be great

look foward to your help and info
ant

Why don't you just upgrade the LR to......

G-Wagen.jpg

Isuzu used to be a popular replacement in LR's.

ted i love to but its the funds and i cant bash such a nice car about like i do the landy lol

isuzu was a choice but like you say a popular choice so i want to be a bit different

As you say , you want to avoid anything too recent with too much electronics .

If you're looking for a donor car - something like the W123 series (pictured below) will avoid too many complications - if you can find one . Do you have space in your engine bay for a six-cylinder ? If so , the 300D ( 3 litre , straight six cylinder ) is the one to look for .

Good luck .

21.jpg

Then there is the problem of mating a gearbox to the engine.
I take it you are keeping 4wd?

i think theres enough room as they have had a td5 in there and some one had out a v6 chevvy diesel or something like that, be a bit tight i recon

as for gearbox i still need 4wd with diff locks ect, i dont want the landy one as it might not be strong enough with the extra power unless i spend loads

if only i could get a g-wagon for £600 then i be ok lol

I'm no expert, but I suspect that the standard Land Rover gearbox will be able to handle anything an MB Diesel engine can throw at it. I believe the LR halfshafts are deliberately designed as the weak link in the chain as they're easy to change with minimal tools out in the bush.

hello all
im after some help, i dont own a merc mysef (dad has a 1990 250d, 2003 ml270 and 2006 sprinter) but i do a landrover.
i want to put in a merc diesel engine in my landrover project that im building along the lines of a sprinter 312
my question is are there any cars out there that have the same engine as the sprinter one to use as a doner

or if any 1 else could recomend any other diesel engine not goin ott or too many electrics as i will be using it for off road woud be great

look foward to your help and info
ant

Ssanyong Musso uses the 2.9 Sprinter engine, you can buy a whole Musso for less than the cost of a Sprinter engine.

Don't try to fit a 617 engine or any of the early engines, they really don't work well in LRs or RRs, endless cooling problems.

There are plenty of people racing with Tdis though, bloke in the industrial unit next to mine races a Tomcat and he swears by them, although his tomcat is about to get a supercharged 3.9 while his built 4.6 is away for a new rebuilt.

Then there is the problem of mating a gearbox to the engine.
I take it you are keeping 4wd?

There are adapter plates for 617s, but they are an old low power engine, and they *never* work well in Land Rovers or Range Rovers, endless cooling probems...

i think theres enough room as they have had a td5 in there and some one had out a v6 chevvy diesel or something like that, be a bit tight i recon

as for gearbox i still need 4wd with diff locks ect, i dont want the landy one as it might not be strong enough with the extra power unless i spend loads

if only i could get a g-wagon for £600 then i be ok lol

If you're after a bit more grunt why not fit a Ford V6 or a Rover V8?

The Mercedes OM602 indirect/direct injection 5 cylinder engine found in the 90s sprinters have a great reputation for speed and economy.:thumb: I'm not so sure their characteristic strengths are best suited for mud plugging tho they did use them in the G class-- laterly in turbo'd form . :( Mercedes-Benz OM602 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom