Hello Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neil1951

Car
Mercedes benz S320
This Friday i and my wife set of in our S320 from London for a tour of the Scottish highlands.We head first for Lochgoilhead as we have a nice little cottage for the week right on Loch Goil, and i am told the views are the best there is. The next morning we will head to Crieff for the annual highland gathering and will stop at the "rest and be thankful" Achnaba on the way home. Monday sees us at Stirling castle and the Wallace monument for the day and if time allows we will also visit the Kelpies. Tusday we will visit Edinburgh for the day heading for "Mary kings close" Hollyrood and Edinburgh castle finishing of the day with the Edinburgh military tattoo and the wife can do some shopping. Wednesday driving through Glen Coe and up to Fort William the rest of the week we are going to go out and see where we end up should be fun. If any members have any pointers for good places to visit there id be gratful,:cool::cool: return to London with some good scotch whiskey and bloody well shattered estimate the whole round trip will be around 1500 miles we will see how my S320 handles it and will post pics etc.

You have quite a few options.

Tours from Oban to Mull are well organised using the ferries and local bus companies. Eg. The Three islands Tour which is a long day starting at Oban in the morning that takes you to Mull, Staffa, and Iona and back to Oban in the evening. Or do somethings simpler like go to Tobermory.

There's Kilmartin and Inverary.

You have oddities like the Bonawe Iron Furnace at Taynuilt or the slate queries at Easedale (south of Oban). these are remnants of quite remmote industrial activity ijn the Highlands.

PS Waverley sails on the Clyde and does an afternoon trip from Tignabruich on some Wednesdays during the summer.

If you get up to Fort William you have the Jacobite train that runs a daily morning service and for part of the season an afternoon service as well. If I'm taking foreign visitors up there then I usually try and time the visit to get the train passing at Neptune's Staircase or further along at Glenfinnan on an outbound service from Fort William.

If you are doing Edinburgh and Stirling Castles then they are run by Historic Scotland who do a multi-day day pass that will also cover entry to their other establishments over several different days - these include Kilchurn Castle at Loch Awe and Bonawe Iron Furnace. It's worth checking their website in advance to see if you're likely to visit enough sites to make the pass worthwhile.

Up around Inverness is beautiful. The Speyside whisky trail is a lovely area too, although if you visit the distilleries one will have to drive as the other has to be a taster.

Also the North Coast 500 is meant to be fantastic - northcoast500.com

If you're going up the A9 take it steady as the compulsion to overtake every caravan that pops up every 200 yards causes so many accidents each year.

Scotland is an absolutely beautiful country, and a hell of a lot bigger than people realise - takes forever to drive around - you can take a week and not see even half of it.

Enjoy.

Highland Tour

Hi Neil
The true Highlands are Fort William and North. A journey I do for a day trip (from north of Inverness first takes me down to FW then I take the A830 Road to the Isles (To Mallaig) - dont miss Harry Potters Glenfinnan Viaduct - The regular and cheap ferry across to Skye is brilliant. On Skye drive north to the Skye Bridge/Kyle of Lochalsh then you can return to FW via the A87 to Invergarry and A82 to FW. BUT as a serious drive (in my case in c350 coupe or RS4) I prefer to head a few miles down the A87 and just before Nostie take the minor road on the left to Stromferry and Strathcarron. In Strathcarron take the A896 SP Shieldaig but turn off left after a few miles and take the minor road at Tornapress SP Applecross - its the highest road in UK, scenery is amazing when you get to the bottom of the 'Drovers Road Pass' turn left and stop for a bite to eat at the Applecross Inn - Dont miss the langoustine caught in the bay in front of the pub or even the hand dived scallops.

Enjoy

Also the North Coast 500 is meant to be fantastic - northcoast500.com

The NC500 is really worth several days on its own - taking accommodation up in the North West tio act as a base or taking it ion stages with B&Bs or campling.

AIUI the OP is based at Loch Goil which makes anything further than his planned visit Fort William a long out and back drive (which is fine if you like that - but most people like to stop places).

The regular and cheap ferry across to Skye is brilliant

MV Coruisk which was the mainstay of the Mallaig-Armadale route has been moved south to add capacity on the Oban-Craignure (Mull) route.

AIUI they are using two smaller ferries as coverage - which upset the locals earlier this year.

So best to book ahead when using the ferry just in case you get stuck waiting.

Watch your speed up there,they take their speed limits seriously ! :ban:
The people's republic of Scotland's roads are not a racetrack for the English!!! :D
Beautiful country though ,enjoy your holiday.:thumb:

Kelpies

The kelpies are well worth a visit,and 5minutes away you have the Falkirk wheel, you will enjoy your drive thru Glencoe,the scenery is amazing with plenty of parking at the most scenic places
Enjoy

Last edited:
Ignore them all. If you want to see the real Scotland, take a walk from Milngavie to Fort William. Magnificent. Oh, and if you want to ignore my advice DO do the Bealach na Ba. When you get to the top, park up and take a stroll up to the radio mast for the most amazing views.

That's 2,500 feet sheer drop.
Five times as high as Beachy Head.

View attachment 59302

Last edited:
Did the North Coast 500 earlier this year. West & North Coasts particularly good, The drive over the mountains to Applecross is fun!

As well as the usual, try Cruachan Visitor Centre, where you can see a working hydro electric power station.

Ben Nevis and Glen Nevis for obvious reasons.

Drumnadrochit visitor centre for Loch Ness.

One of the best visitor centres for Whisky is the Glenfiddich distillery at Dufftown.

Many of the towns along the east coast have visitor centres mainly to do with the Viking invasions, along with the Scandinavian sounding names, such as Helmsdale.

But in my opinion the most striking thing you will see is the scenery. Scotland is for many the most beautiful country in the world. Breathtaking hardly describes what you will see in the Highlands, as anyone who has visited that lovely country will attest.

Visit the island Arran. Scotland in miniature. Stunning place.

The Applecross looks amazing. I've never been but I'll definately be there some day. But most roads down the west coast are sure to be amazing. Enjoy your trip.

Busy little pub at Applecross. We squeezed in and got a table. Varied menu and food quite good bearing in mind how busy it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom