Hello there, '98 C180 advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddington

Car
Potential C180 Espirit Sport
Hello there, another newbie looking advice, seen myself a beautiful '98 C180 and wanting to get her at the end of the month. Just hoping someone can help me with what to look for, she's a manuel with 84k on the clock. My dad has had a few but if there is any main pointers you can give me I'd really appreciate it and hopefully I'll be an owner of a very nice Merc at the end of the month,

Cheers guys :)

Check the wheel arches as they do rust but look how bad they are and whether you will need to treat them. Same with the boot lock area and along the bottoms of the doors.

Check all the electrics work such as electric windows and sunroof (if it has one as motors can be expensive).

Check the wheel arches as they do rust but look how bad they are and whether you will need to treat them. Same with the boot lock area and along the bottoms of the doors.

Check all the electrics work such as electric windows and sunroof (if it has one as motors can be expensive).

In terms of electircal components, the front wiper is also a common failure point...

Central Locking and alarm too. Make sure you have a minimum of two working keys. Last time I looked they are 120 pounds plus each.

Cheers guys, yeah I've noticed rust on other models I've see about, this one is silver and it tends to stick out a not more. Never even though about the electrics so I'll check those, the car has a full ticket as well so I can't imagine any major dramas with it but will give you a bit of feedback during the weekend when I go to look at it ;)

Check that the boot lock works on the blade part of the key. These can seize and if the battery (which is in the boot) fails you've got problems...

Check that the boot lock works on the blade part of the key. These can seize and if the battery (which is in the boot) fails you've got problems...

The problems arent major as you can get power to the battery via contact points in the engine bay but it's alot more hassle

Front wiper: This is a common issue - but if it's just slow it's easily resolvable with some grease

Rust: Wheel arches and around the locks

Locks: Check the boot lock and passenger lock both work with the key, many have never been used and as such seize

Antenna: Regularly fails (mine went through 3)

Engine: Viscous fan is a common failing point

Hope this helps :)

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom