Hello there! First Mercedes, loving it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

agitated

Car
E220 (W212)
Hello everyone!

After a few years of not driving (and six weeks of not being able to dispose of my rubbish due to a bin strike), I figured it's time to get some wheels again. Hired an A Class a few times over the last few years for a few things, loved how they drove and said I'd get a Mercedes if the opportunity ever came up. Well on Tuesday that opportunity came up and I picked up a 2015 E220 with 60k miles!

Already been here a few times in the last few days as a visitor and found some very helpful threads. Will be making good use of your collective knowledge over the years I'm sure :)

Feu1Soa.jpg

Looks in great condition with immaculate paintwork. Get the rear windows tinted (if you are into that) and it will look really nice with the black paintwork and alloys :p

Looks in great condition with immaculate paintwork. Get the rear windows tinted (if you are into that) and it will look really nice with the black paintwork and alloys :p

Already booked in, unfortunately quite a wait until early October!

Sometimes its worth the wait to get them from a reputable person. Some awful looking window tints out there that start to peel. I had SunTek tints fitted in my previous two Mercs and had no issues with them over the years I owned the cars.

Welcome, nice motor. :) 👍

Hello and welcome. Car looks a belter. Enjoy. 🥳

Only my opinion but rear tint's will look dreadful, an all black car will look like a drug dealers car. That gangster look is not for me :(

Hi and welcome 👍

If I were a drug dealer I would be making better money! 😁

The tint is for privacy reasons, I have a medical condition that sometimes requires me to take care of it when I'm out of the house and I don't like people ogling.

Thanks everyone for the welcome messages.

I had the rear of my E class tinted to keep the sun out of the grand childrens eyes and reduce the glare.
Can't say it looks like a drug dealers car to me?

OP, Nice car congrats:thumb:
20200830_110553[1].jpg

Welcome.

One of the 1st things I did was tint the rears. I was surprised it wasn't done from the factory like all the other motors I've owned.

A little under 3 weeks later and I have to say I'm in love. Had a week off work and decided to learn by doing and add some things I felt were missing:

Android Auto + Apple CarPlay via a company called Integrated Automotive and their IMI-1000 which necessitated removing the glovebox, stereo and dashboard trim a few times before I got it fitted right. (4 hours-ish)
Aftermarket reversing camera. Wiring this was surprisingly awkward as I kept stumbling across guides for the pre-facelift W212 and of course mine's different. Not helped by the fact the first camera I purchased as advertised as fitting my car, but didn't.
Viofo A129 Plus Duo front and rear dash cam. Absolutely a necessity in my view, saved my bacon in previous cars and there won't be a car I own without one. Went for 1440p instead of 4k resolution.
AMG door pins, £20 off a mate. Can't believe how much these things cost new!
Stage 1 remap via RemapKings. Really changed the feel of Eco mode and in my opinion Eco now suits my driving style better than Sport mode does. Supposedly +42bhp and +101Nm, but I haven't measured. Only another £60 on the insurance to boot!
Comfort box was an eBay find after seeing a few threads where some people gushed over it. Have to say it's nice not to have things moving about in the back.
Door protectors as my girlfriend is a liability with no spatial reasoning whatsoever, and on day 1 she chipped the door on the wall next to the driveway. 😢

Still looking forward to the window tint, have called a few times to see if any availability has come up but unfortunately it's still October before they can get to me.

If there's any other suggestions please let me know. I love a good project!

I think you have covered more than just the basics lol. Sounds really good on what you have done over the last few weeks.

How about an upgraded sound system if that's your cup of tea?

Share some pics ones the windows have been tinted :p

I think you have covered more than just the basics lol. Sounds really good on what you have done over the last few weeks.

How about an upgraded sound system if that's your cup of tea?

Share some pics ones the windows have been tinted :p
Not a bad shout actually, the front right speaker cuts out intermittently when driving so it's on my list of things to investigate, but if I'm going to do that replacing some speakers wouldn't be the worst idea in the world :)

Do you have any recommendations or tips for that?

Not a bad shout actually, the front right speaker cuts out intermittently when driving so it's on my list of things to investigate, but if I'm going to do that replacing some speakers wouldn't be the worst idea in the world :)

Do you have any recommendations or tips for that?
Sorry I am not too up to date with these things. Hopefully somebody replies who can help. If you search on the forum there are others who have upgraded their sound systems and labelled all the parts you would need. It is a time consuming job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom