Hello - W129 electric help in Herts, required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wreford

Car
W129 SL Edition
Hello All,

My lovely year 2000 SL 320 SL Edition has the SRS light on and a few other annoying odds and sods!

Searching the Internet I came across you all and a post by J4GG4 who is close to J10 of the M1 - I can't yet PM as I not posted 30 but would be interested in contacting them or others that have the ability to diagnose.

Cheers

Wreford

Hello All,

My lovely year 2000 SL 320 SL Edition has the SRS light on and a few other annoying odds and sods!

Searching the Internet I came across you all and a post by J4GG4 who is close to J10 of the M1 - I can't yet PM as I not posted 30 but would be interested in contacting them or others that have the ability to diagnose.

Cheers

Wreford

Sounds like a good reason to try to contact a member via PM. Since J4GG4 has not visited the site for a few days, I thought I could attract his attention and send a PM to inform about this thread and your message. I hope not too many have don the same already (without informing here).

Sounds like a good reason to try to contact a member via PM. Since J4GG4 has not visited the site for a few days, I thought I could attract his attention and send a PM to inform about this thread and your message. I hope not too many have don the same already (without informing here).

Thank you...

I've a few things I need to sort and would welcome the experience of this forum on getting them sorted.

Aside from the SRS light my centre top heating vents stop pumping hot air, the light comes on but what ever opens the flap is not doing so - I'm not sure if this is an electrical gremlin or a physical problem.

Drivers heated seat not working

Advice on replacing the roof... It's all it needs to be perfect!

Advice on how to insure it for sensible money - I'm over 50 with full no claims but it still costs me a fortune!

This may be of intrest to other 320 V6 W129 owners:

Shortly after I first bought the car 25,000 miles and 2 years ago the centre CATS in the middle of the car broke up - the cost to replace was high so passing a place that fit big exhausts to small cars I popped in to ask for an alternative view.

30 minutes later I had two CATS sawn out and straight pipe put in.... It's since passed two MOT's with no problem on emissions and it sound just a little more fruity not much just a hint of extra vroom.

Cheers

Wreford

Drivers heated seat is likely to be one of the following - fuse, connector/wire problem or the elements are gone. It's relatively easy to get into the seat on an SL, just unbolt the squab from the front and slide out, then you can get access to the necessary bits and see which is at fault (assuming it isn't the fuse)

Roof is best left to the experts - there's a place south of London that seems to do good work, or perhaps a road trip to KHM in Germany.

Insurance - Depends on what you mean by "a fortune". I'm paying about £300 a year as a 30yo on an agreed limited mileage policy, which seems pretty fair.

Drivers heated seat is likely to be one of the following - fuse, connector/wire problem or the elements are gone. It's relatively easy to get into the seat on an SL, just unbolt the squab from the front and slide out, then you can get access to the necessary bits and see which is at fault (assuming it isn't the fuse)

Roof is best left to the experts - there's a place south of London that seems to do good work, or perhaps a road trip to KHM in Germany.

Insurance - Depends on what you mean by "a fortune". I'm paying about £300 a year as a 30yo on an agreed limited mileage policy, which seems pretty fair.

Thank you...

I'll go check the fuse 1st!
You're insurance us much cheaper than mine
I see you have an old BMW... I've also got a rather special R80g/s

Cheers

Wreford

Thank you...

I'll go check the fuse 1st!
You're insurance us much cheaper than mine
I see you have an old BMW... I've also got a rather special R80g/s

Cheers

Wreford

Ah yes, the "shed". It's a project that is forever on the back burner at the moment! I might get round to it someday.

Perchance you are the Wreford from ukgser forums?

I like the old carb fed BMW GS's - got any pictures?

As for the SRS light, I'd say you're best off getting it on a Star initially to see what is what.

As for the roof, I have had a very positve experience with Convertible car hoods and soft tops for Mercedes from Car Hood Warehouse | Car Hood Warehouse. The cost for replacing the three perspex panels is £395 all in and a complete new roof is £510 + fitting at around £200 labour.

I will modify your permissions so you can PM. You may need to log off and back on again before they apply though.

Ah yes, the "shed". It's a project that is forever on the back burner at the moment! I might get round to it someday.

Perchance you are the Wreford from ukgser forums?

that's me :thumb:

although I've been so busy I'm not on that forum very much now days

Last edited:
I like the old carb fed BMW GS's - got any pictures?

As for the SRS light, I'd say you're best off getting it on a Star initially to see what is what.

As for the roof, I have had a very positve experience with Convertible car hoods and soft tops for Mercedes from Car Hood Warehouse | Car Hood Warehouse. The cost for replacing the three perspex panels is £395 all in and a complete new roof is £510 + fitting at around £200 labour.

I will modify your permissions so you can PM. You may need to log off and back on again before they apply though.

I've a few pictures :)

Attachments

• RR1.jpg
    RR1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 35
that's me :thumb:

although I've been so busy I'm not on that forum very much now days

I haven't been back since I parted company with my 1200GSA a couple of years ago. I have an Ohlins rear shock to sell on but seems a bit pointless to resubscribe just for that.

If the heating/air con system is the same as the W124 the centre dash vents always blow cold outside air- its just the design! Check all the fuses for end corrosion films enough to drop the voltage to cause a fault condition on some electronics. Here's a post on an SRS SEAT FAULT. How to resolve SRS warning light fault (W208) - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

If the heating/air con system is the same as the W124 the centre dash vents always blow cold outside air- its just the design!

Centre vents are switchable for hot/cold on the early ones, I am assuming it is the same for the later models.

I haven't been back since I parted company with my 1200GSA a couple of years ago. I have an Ohlins rear shock to sell on but seems a bit pointless to resubscribe just for that.

If you put it on ebay I'll post the link on the site...

If your ebay description happend to use the word Touratech GS'ers will be all over it as most have a constant search for anything Touratech.

Centre vents are switchable for hot/cold on the early ones, I am assuming it is the same for the later models.

that's right switchable hot and cold - cold works and hot use to, the light still comes on!

If you put it on ebay I'll post the link on the site...

If your ebay description happend to use the word Touratech GS'ers will be all over it as most have a constant search for anything Touratech.

Will do chap - I have a few bits to throw up on the 'bay shortly.

Last time I was up at MCT (who supplied it), I was quite shocked to find out how much they cost now - current price is ~ £1k :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom