Helmet cameras capture bad driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
BBC News - Helmet cameras capture bad driving

With more cyclists than ever on Britain's roads, an increasing number are coming into conflict with other road users.

Their latest weapon is wearing a miniature camera attached to helmets or handlebars, to capture bad driving.

For most cyclists, "naming and shaming" drivers is as far as it goes. But Ben decided to take things further after one van driver overtook him too close and then jumped out to confront him, shouting abuse.
"I think he wanted to teach me a lesson. It wasn't very nice, but he didn't notice the camera," he said.

Mr Porter, 37, took the footage to his local police station and the van driver was eventually prosecuted and found guilty of a public order offence and driving without due care and attention. He was fined £300, with costs of £150 and given five points on his licence.

This doesn't have to be the preserve of cyclist. Drivers and bikers could use these too if they thought they were at risk.

Interesting, he seems to be about the only cyclist I have seen that actually takes any notice of traffic lights and other road signs......

Anyone know where I can purchase a set of long knives aka Roman chariot:devil:

Interesting, he seems to be about the only cyclist I have seen that actually takes any notice of traffic lights and other road signs......

That`s because he`s on camera ;)

As a cyclist and cycle commuter myself, and an ML owner, here is my tuppence worth;

1, Cyclists with cameras are stupid.

2, Naming and shaming drivers on youtube or any other global media is simply wrong and stupid - it does not educate people, it enfuriates them. Who does the filmer think they are to say what was right or wrong.....? It is only perception.

3, Cyclists that film are usually the worst kind of nervous road users who will probably perceive everything that any car driver does as wrong anyway....no matter whether they are in the wrong or not.

4, I have cycle raced and cycle commuted for over 20 years and never needed a camera. I have had very little interaction with other road users as I am pretty quick and tend to be out of the way before I am noticed - i.e. I am very observant, fit and strong. if I need to muscle my way through traffic and overtake, then I do so. I don't wobble about filming and getting all upset if a car gets a bit close - I get on with it.

5, Yes, some of us do obey road signs (although admittedly, I sometimes run the rag a bit - mainly to stay out of the way and give myself time to get up to speed before I get in the mix of the traffic).

The guys doing this filming/naming and shaming are pathetic and are making all cyclists look like whinging, slow morons with no road sense and a keen interest in laying all blame for anything on others. Quite simply, if they got fitter and were more observant and did not weigh there bike down with unecessary cameras and so on - they would be faster and have less issues.

I completely hate this idiocy of filming "perceived" road user issues and then uploading it on a global basis "for educational purposes"....it is total cack and does nothing but to simply isolate cyclists as elitist know it alls.

And thats the view of a keen cyclist!

As a cyclist and cycle commuter myself, and an ML owner, here is my tuppence worth;

1, Cyclists with cameras are stupid.

2, Naming and shaming drivers on youtube or any other global media is simply wrong and stupid - it does not educate people, it enfuriates them. Who does the filmer think they are to say what was right or wrong.....? It is only perception.

3, Cyclists that film are usually the worst kind of nervous road users who will probably perceive everything that any car driver does as wrong anyway....no matter whether they are in the wrong or not.

4, I have cycle raced and cycle commuted for over 20 years and never needed a camera. I have had very little interaction with other road users as I am pretty quick and tend to be out of the way before I am noticed - i.e. I am very observant, fit and strong. if I need to muscle my way through traffic and overtake, then I do so. I don't wobble about filming and getting all upset if a car gets a bit close - I get on with it.

5, Yes, some of us do obey road signs (although admittedly, I sometimes run the rag a bit - mainly to stay out of the way and give myself time to get up to speed before I get in the mix of the traffic).

The guys doing this filming/naming and shaming are pathetic and are making all cyclists look like whinging, slow morons with no road sense and a keen interest in laying all blame for anything on others. Quite simply, if they got fitter and were more observant and did not weigh there bike down with unecessary cameras and so on - they would be faster and have less issues.

I completely hate this idiocy of filming "perceived" road user issues and then uploading it on a global basis "for educational purposes"....it is total cack and does nothing but to simply isolate cyclists as elitist know it alls.

So, on balance, are you for or against cyclists using cameras?

Whilst 1 camera only gives 1 perspective, does it ever lie? If I was a city cyclist at risk I'd consider wearing one. And yes if it forces the cyclist to obey the red lights and all the other infringement allegations thrown at cyclists then that too can't be a bad thing. It's not so much Big Brother, but Little Brother ;)

For what it's worth, when I am Leader of the World, adult cyclists must; carry some 3P insurance, wear high visibility vests (i.e. not head to foot in black), fit lights and buy batteries from time-to-time, fit rear-view mirror, observe road signs, try to indicate intentions, be more aware of drivers blind spots, not use a phone whilst moving, not to listen to music on earphones whilst moving, perhaps have cycle inspected (MOT?) regularly, be "sober", you get my drift?

We all have to share the road and give each other an even chance

Watching the video the van does seem to be making a hash of it but surely the safest thing for the cyclist is to slow down and not continue to try and pass the van on the inside. Not really helping himself there is he?

That would make quite a hairy test case...

Having just seen the news article on the BBC, about the cyclist cameras and particularly the case where by a van driver who was involved in a road rage incident with a cyclist was prosecuted using the camera footage as evidence, I feel that having a camera even in cars, would be a good idea.

I think just the thought that you may be filmed, would hopefully stop some of the idiotic morons that have been able to obtain a driving licenses from abusing other road users.

Quite simply, if they got fitter and were more observant and did not weigh there bike down with unnecessary cameras and so on - they would be faster and have less issues.

Let me be all controversial and disagree! Slightly ;) I spend 6 years of my younger life training and racing XC & downhill MTB, so I know a thing or two about handling a bike. I also commuted by bike for many many years through busy city centres. I also rode motorbikes on and off road. Obviously, I like cars too!

Now - yes, there are plenty of whingy little maggoty cyclists out there! However, there are FAR more bloody careless imbecilic distracted haven't got a bleeding clue what's happening around them drivers .. I can assure you! Put every car driver on a motorbike for a month before they can have a licence - that would reduce accidents!

On my MTB, I've been driven into by cars and "hooked" by a motorbike couriers peg at the lights through my spokes. Not bad for some many years, but I could do nothing on those occasions. On my motorbike, I've been driven into and nearly had my foot crushed by an idiot in a big Merc (wouldn't you know! ;) ) who decided not to look right before crossing the road to park illegally on the opposite side. I've been whacked with mirrors a couple of times too - sometimes you just can't get out of the way.

Like you, I was very fit and have a sensible head on my shoulders for avoiding accidents in the first place. You develop a sixth sense after a while.

I've no problem with some prosecutions being aided by footage like this if it stops some idiot who's eventually going to maim or kill someone. I've a big problem if it just gives rise to chip-on-the-shoulder born losers to complain about every little infraction!

For the record:

Nearest to killing myself on an MTB - my fault, almost over a cliff at 40mph, lots of lost skin!
Nearest to killing myself on a motorbike - my fault, going too fast, tired, dark, wet, tried to brake like an idiot and lost the front wheel at a truly stupid speed, ruined my leathers, lots of bruises and sprains, scratched £350 helmet
Nearest to killing myself in a car - my fault, just a month ago, got lift-off oversteer going too fast on the motorway with icy verges, wife nearly shat herself and the dice landed the right way up!

Hmm .. not sure I've made a point! So yes, we are a danger unto ourselves, but other road users, even when we're careful, sometimes remove the choice from our hands. Cyclists are fragile compared to other road users and it's not always their fault when they get squished!! Many car, van and truck drivers out there are dangerous, incosiderate and unaware fools.

Let me be all controversial and disagree! Slightly ;) I spend 6 years of my younger life training and racing XC & downhill MTB, so I know a thing or two about handling a bike. I also commuted by bike for many many years through busy city centres. I also rode motorbikes on and off road. Obviously, I like cars too!

Now - yes, there are plenty of whingy little maggoty cyclists out there! However, there are FAR more bloody careless imbecilic distracted haven't got a bleeding clue what's happening around them drivers .. I can assure you! Put every car driver on a motorbike for a month before they can have a licence - that would reduce accidents!

On my MTB, I've been driven into by cars and "hooked" by a motorbike couriers peg at the lights through my spokes. Not bad for some many years, but I could do nothing on those occasions. On my motorbike, I've been driven into and nearly had my foot crushed by an idiot in a big Merc (wouldn't you know! ;) ) who decided not to look right before crossing the road to park illegally on the opposite side. I've been whacked with mirrors a couple of times too - sometimes you just can't get out of the way.

Like you, I was very fit and have a sensible head on my shoulders for avoiding accidents in the first place. You develop a sixth sense after a while.

I've no problem with some prosecutions being aided by footage like this if it stops some idiot who's eventually going to maim or kill someone. I've a big problem if it just gives rise to chip-on-the-shoulder born losers to complain about every little infraction!

For the record:

Nearest to killing myself on an MTB - my fault, almost over a cliff at 40mph, lots of lost skin!
Nearest to killing myself on a motorbike - my fault, going too fast, tired, dark, wet, tried to brake like an idiot and lost the front wheel at a truly stupid speed, ruined my leathers, lots of bruises and sprains, scratched £350 helmet
Nearest to killing myself in a car - my fault, just a month ago, got lift-off oversteer going too fast on the motorway with icy verges, wife nearly shat herself and the dice landed the right way up!

Hmm .. not sure I've made a point! So yes, we are a danger unto ourselves, but other road users, even when we're careful, sometimes remove the choice from our hands. Cyclists are fragile compared to other road users and it's not always their fault when they get squished!! Many car, van and truck drivers out there are dangerous, incosiderate and unaware fools.

I wholly agree with your sentiment on motorbikes - Sadly my beloved Ducati 998 SPS turned into a kitchen, by magic......I am lucky enough to hold a motorbike instructor cert and was lucky enough to race motorbikes to in "Sound of Thunder" series for a few years....before kitchens required rebuilding!

Again, I have never had a problem on a motorbike - the only incidents I have had was my own fault, 130mph in a 30mph zone - court appearance! Fell off whilst pulling a wheelie and highsided at Donnington Park on the Essess whilst racing.

Just this morning whilst zipping through traffic on my racing bicycle, I see, hybrid commuter wobbler with front and rear cameras; he can't get down the left side of the traffic where there is a clearly marked cycle lane - cars are in it, so rather than filtering down the right (like anyone with half a brain would do - he hops onto the pavement where there are oncoming pedestrians with prams! I bet that will be edited out of his footage when he rants at cars in cycle lanes on youtube.

It beggars belief that some people really do think that they have the right to comment on driving and road manners, from their own warped perspective - it is not fair. And people do not learn from this, it is just enfuriating - some bicycle filmers even put reg numbers on t'internet.....outrageous!

My wife had an accident (mentioned on this forum previously), where she reversed into the same parked car 3 times - she had screaming kids in the back of the ML and was simply at the end of her rope....it happens to all of us, we have off days, we have screaming kids in the back - why chastise people and show them up on global media when you don't know the personal circumstance of the incident from both sides.

Tell you what, lets all start filming each other and sue each other to sh1t - then lets see how much insurance costs......

I can understand filimg for fun - like cycle racing, skiing or something like that - but filming your commute to work to point out perceived "near misses" and suchlike is simply stupid and dull.

You say that, but if all that was left is strawberry jam and a helmet cam?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom