Help - advice on c class as Abarth 500 replacement!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisHGTV

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E250 Avantgarde Estate, Alfa GTV V6, Vespa, Ducati, many bicycles...
Hello all

As per the title really. My wife has an Abarth 500 that she uses for her commute mainly - an hour in traffic Guildford to Reading. But she’s now looking for something a little more comfortable. the Abarth is great fun but not the most comfortable or relaxing drive though she has enjoyed it. There’s only the two of us and we have the E Class estate as the “family” car and we also have a small Alfa as a sunny weekend car. So as a replacement for the Abarth I was thinking of a C class Coupé. Having driven the E she really wants an auto now, and would like the intelligent light system etc. (The Abarth is pretty basic!)

Budget wise probably around £10k and speaking to some people (InAutos) they suggested a late 204 rather than an early 205. Was thinking petrol as we already have one diesel which could be restrictive in time I guess. But I’ve been reading some horror stories re timing chains on the petrols. A lot of the coupes also seem to come with Artico rather than leather, how durable is artico?

So really any advice appreciated!

cheers!

Or maybe a C207 E Class Coupe/Cabriolet? Built on a C Class platform but a bit more upmarket. You will struggle to find a petrol though.

Or maybe a C207 E Class Coupe/Cabriolet? Built on a C Class platform but a bit more upmarket. You will struggle to find a petrol though.

Hmm Good idea, yes I was thinking of one of those as well, have to say I prefer them! Need to see how big they are. My wife has always preferred smaller cars but she drives the E estate ok. Still undecided on the petrol vs diesel thing. Unlikely to drive into centre of town but I can see it’s only going to get harder with diesel so could be worth having a petrol (apart from the Alfa) at our disposal.

Guilford to Reading, even in slow traffic will still enable a diesel to make sense if you want one

A E220 coupe (or even a cab) will be economical and a nice place to be (esp with a proper auto box)
If a coupe, get a Pano roof (it's a must)

There are E200 petrols around and would be fine for a lazy commute (suit a cab better though than a diesel)

If budget is tight, a run out CLC isn't a bad car, especially in white with (again a Pano roof) although they are getting on a bit now, but perfectly serviceable 4 seater commuter ,petrol or diesel

The 350 and 500 petrols really suit that car. I'd look for one of them,

On that commute, the fuel bill will hurt (and she / they won't see the benefit of the engine) though

I have a 350 and would agree with you, but for the purposes stated.....?

On that commute, the fuel bill will hurt (and she / they won't see the benefit of the engine) though

yes my wife likes cars but she’s not a car nut as such, she just wants something a bit more comfortable and easy to drive. It’s difficult on budget as well - I’ve always set a kind of max at £10k for a car. I think this is more a psychological limit to be honest as thinking about it that’s quite a bit less than I’ve spent in the past as a % of what I earn! That could be a whole new thread - relatively how much do people spend on cars!

Must say I’m liking the look of the E220/250/Coupé now. Might need to try one, I hope it’s not too big. Hmmmm

thanks for all the advice...

Must say I’m liking the look of the E220/250/Coupé now. Might need to try one, I hope it’s not too big. Hmmmm

thanks for all the advice...
It is not a large car, just make sure it has parking sensors front and rear and a rear camera then there will be no objections ;)

Had a quick look on Google maps - didn't realise Guildford and Reading were so far apart.

In that case I'd go for a 350 diesel. But it would be an E Class Coupe (which is really a C anyway).

Auto Trader logo

I did Reading to Aldershot for about 10 years, was a right faff.
I’d go diesel myself if I was trying to save some cash. The last car I was using to the journey was a beemer 3 series convertible which used to manage over 40mpg quite easily.
Not the most comfortable car as it was a M sport plus so the suspension was rock hard as were the run flat tyres but was nice when the sun was shining.
I’m glad I don’t have to do that journey now with the amount of roadworks and development going on around Aborfield/Shinfield, would do my nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The C207/A207 is, as has been said, built on the 204 platform so it is almost the same size as the C Class. Only a few mm difference, if I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom