Help/advice on this old battery pack I found

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Buy a new battery for your Mom's car and keep that bad boy.

I have an identical one which I've had for 10+ years and I wouldn't be without it.

I've only charged it twice, but it's jump started cars probably 10+ times and inflated umpteen tyres. Seriously it's a miraculous thing.

The alarm on my Mr2 kept sounding because the battery went flat over night, and battery back up kicked it so the alarm continued to sound and would have done for hours. Popped this on the battery terminals, and alarm shut up!!

When Mrs D was in hospital after having Jnr D I came home to a power cut which lasted days. I used this power pack to charge my mobile, use as a light to read by, etc.

If the riots result in an armageddon style chaos, mine will be in the back of the ML as we head for furthest reaches of Scotland!!

Did I say I think they're great?

Edit: Snr D and F-i-L D both have one and swear by it too!!

Just to counter others in this thread, ive had one of these for around 5 years or so and it has proved very useful indeed and has saved my bacon many times over.

it is powerful enough to start a 5L v8 from flat and as for charging it, i just charge mine with one of my bog standard car battery chargers on the crocodile clips. no need for the supplied adapter.

That said, if its reading less than 1 volt then it sounds like it is past it. a new replacement is a worthwhile investment in my opinion however.

Buy a new battery for your Mom's car and keep that bad boy.

I have an identical one which I've had for 10+ years and I wouldn't be without it.

I've only charged it twice, but it's jump started cars probably 10+ times and inflated umpteen tyres. Seriously it's a miraculous thing.

The alarm on my Mr2 kept sounding because the battery went flat over night, and battery back up kicked it so the alarm continued to sound and would have done for hours. Popped this on the battery terminals, and alarm shut up!!

When Mrs D was in hospital after having Jnr D I came home to a power cut which lasted days. I used this power pack to charge my mobile, use as a light to read by, etc.

If the riots result in an armageddon style chaos, mine will be in the back of the ML as we head for furthest reaches of Scotland!!

Did I say I think they're great?

Edit: Snr D and F-i-L D both have one and swear by it too!!

10% ??
15% ??
Maybe even 20% ??

Just trying to guess what commission you're on!
:D

How do you guys know yours is the same as this one?
Aren't there loads of different ones out there at hugely varying prices?

Knowing the previous owner as I do, this one will certainly be a cheapo version.
If you think you have the same one, could you tell me the make and model please as I might be able to download a manual or something?

How do you guys know yours is the same as this one?
Aren't there loads of different ones out there at hugely varying prices?

Looks awfully similar!! ;) Here's mine...

View attachment 25165

There are a few types which getting branded many ways. If you look on the photo above, you can make out a smooth square on the front - it's smooth because that's where the branded sticker sits. Mine was peeling so I removed it last year, so I couldn't tell you which brand it is.

The above type seems to come in two variations - with (mine) and without (my Dad's) an onboard air compressor. Otherwise identical.

Knowing the previous owner as I do, this one will certainly be a cheapo version.
If you think you have the same one, could you tell me the make and model please as I might be able to download a manual or something?

I think mine was £25 excl VAT from Makro (like Costco I guess) but that was a bargain at the time (around Y2K). Certainly aimed at the home market, not a franchise dealership, so cheaper end of the market for sure.

A few months ago I bought my F-I-L another one from a shop called B&M. Very, very similar, but yellow in colour. That was £25 incl VAT.

Last edited:
Before you bin this delightful item,-------- take out the screws around the pack and examine the battery, not always is it a gel battery, often as not, the cheap battery packs have a sealed lead acid battery. Sometimes the battery terminals corrode-- like they do on your car battery-- and just need cleaning up. After a clean up,check the voltage with a Voltage Meter and give the battery a good charge using an ordinary battery charger. Check voltage again when charger says it is full, and then subsequently you can use the little 12 volt charger to keep it topped up. Often as not, you can restore one of these battery packs to their former glory with a clean up and a good charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom