Help/advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jotter22

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK 320 Avantgarde convertible
Before i start i know i have been naive and foolish but........
I purchased my CLK from a dealer (not Mercedes) about 10 weeks ago,
The car had a private registration number belonging to the dealership owner who told me he wished to keep the reg! he explained it was simple to do would take a few weeks and that they do it all the time.
the method was: he would send off the paperwork to put the private plate on retention and put back the original number that was already on retention on receiving the new docs (new tax disc MOT) he would send them to me to change the reg to the new number, He would then send off the V5 for change of ownership.
As he told me this is how its done i saw nothing wrong and agreed! However i have called him numerous times and i seem to be getting no where in a hurry.
I have in my possession all the service history,all service and hand books,old mot's,bill of sale,2 keys,the original plate change details and details of my part exchange.

my question is this...what do i do now i just want this finished?

Thanks guys,
Tony

Before i start i know i have been naive and foolish but........
I purchased my CLK from a dealer (not Mercedes) about 10 weeks ago,
The car had a private registration number belonging to the dealership owner who told me he wished to keep the reg! he explained it was simple to do would take a few weeks and that they do it all the time.
the method was: he would send off the paperwork to put the private plate on retention and put back the original number that was already on retention on receiving the new docs (new tax disc MOT) he would send them to me to change the reg to the new number, He would then send off the V5 for change of ownership.
As he told me this is how its done i saw nothing wrong and agreed! However i have called him numerous times and i seem to be getting no where in a hurry.
I have in my possession all the service history,all service and hand books,old mot's,bill of sale,2 keys,the original plate change details and details of my part exchange.

my question is this...what do i do now i just want this finished?

Thanks guys,
Tony
I would go to my local DVLA and see if they have any record about the transfer and if they have received the V5 (logbook).

If not I would apply for a new one and keep the private reg but it all depends on what the dealer is saying. If they are trying to fob you off the write to him and if that fails contact trading standards as you are minus a V5.

I have emailed him today and told him if i do not hear anything by Monday i will speak to DVLA to exercise my right to the private number.
i did think about trading standards but was not sure if they were the correct route

Thanks,

Tony.

I have emailed him today and told him if i do not hear anything by Monday i will speak to DVLA to exercise my right to the private number.
i did think about trading standards but was not sure if they were the correct route

Thanks,

Tony.
If you are happy with the private plate option then go ahead with that. I suppose Trading Standards route is an option as no V5 but if it were me I would prefer the plate option.

Hope you sort it out soon then.

So you would do it via DVLA and try to keep the plate?
all i want is it resolved the quickest and easiest way! And i am just not sure how to tackle it to be honest.

Tony.

So you would do it via DVLA and try to keep the plate?
all i want is it resolved the quickest and easiest way! And i am just not sure how to tackle it to be honest.

Tony.
If the dealer has taken this long who's is to say he even sent the logbook off? Give him until Monday and if no resolve contact the DVLA.

You would be better going to your local one and asking them if they have any record of the transfer or if they have received the V5 for change of ownership if not apply for a new V5 there is a small cost though about £20-£25 but if you keep the plate it should be worth it.

p.s. Don't let it bother you too much you will get it sorted out one way or another.

I would advise you to take all the documents you have including bill of sale etc as proof of ownership.

As stated...give him couple of days and if no go. A trip to your local DVLA is next. Or even a phone call first. If he really wanted the plate back he would of done so by now. If not apply for a new V5 @ £25.

You will spend £105 to put it on retention.IF the garage can be bothered to contact you, I would charge him the cost of a new log book, retention fees and petrol. This is just laziness on his side or trouble at home lol.

Im going through a transfer at the mo. .but my plate is still on my other car and I have a buyer eager to take it away as is. I said NO WAY..No log book, mot or replacement tax disc.

Nowt to worry about.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

Thanks didi i will either pop in to DVLA office in Maidstone or phone them on Monday.

Tony.

now here's a thing after my not very complimentary email i received a call to say the plate change papers had arrived and would be with me by Tuesday......I await with baited breath :dk:
Thanks for the advice guys:thumb:

Tony.

It normally takes no more than two weeks ; I did one at the end of last year , went into the LVLO in Glasgow , and it took just over a week .

DVLA are pretty quick with these things , delay is most certainly down to the garage .

Did your paperwork from the garage mention number plates in any way ?

If nothing in writing to the effect that the plate is not part of the sale , and you have a receipt for the car then , failing arrival of paperwork , you'd be able to apply for V5 for the car with cherished no . You would then have the garage on the back foot , having to come begging , or make you an offer , if they want the reg mark back .

If nothing in writing to the effect that the plate is not part of the sale , and you have a receipt for the car then , failing arrival of paperwork , you'd be able to apply for V5 for the car with cherished no . You would then have the garage on the back foot , having to come begging , or make you an offer , if they want the reg mark back.

I totally agree with the above. Ball would be in your court.

The original ad said reg not included in the sale and to be honest its nothing special will be glad to just put this behind me.
certainly wont be doing it again!

cheers guys,
Tony.

Never mind eh.He should of put it on retention before he advertisef the car....guess he wanted to save a bit of money lol.

In my current situation im still waiting for new documents to arrive. ..I never even advertised my car for sale and had 3 people interested in it already and one person wants it as is, wish dvla would hurry up its been 2 weeks already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom