Help -Alternator Mysteries W211 2007 320Cdi Est

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phill993

Car
E320CDi Estate/BMW 525i Touring/Porsche 993
The van my son had hired brokedown and we sat in my car with the engine running and heater & TV on for about 4 hrs waiting for the AA to come and recover the van. Stupid I know, but it was cold and boring! On the trip home the red battery appeared on the display and kept reappearing several seconds after being cleared by pressing the page change buttons on the steering wheel. I initially thought the battery may be low due to the prolonged TV use and low engine revs. However, after re-charging the battery fully the next day the red battery warning keeps returning. I have connected my Autel EU702 code reader and get the following readings:

Unit CD14
Code 2249-4 check component G2 Generator - mechanical fault
Code P2248 - Refer to vehicle service manual

Hence, first thoughts were that the alternator has packed up (hoepfully, just the regulator part!)

However, whilst feeling around under it, to see if any cables had become unattached, I felt a lot of oil. Then removed the turbo air intake pipe and found a significant quantity of oil inside the pipe. The oil had obvioulsy been blown down from the air filter and sat in the pipe leaking out from the joint immediately above the alternator. I am sure this shouldnt be happening, and havent a clue why it is. Any ideas?

In any event, I can't see that oil would have a major impact on the electrical performance of the alternator, but am not sure whether the alternator fitted has a direct or clutch drive from the v belt. If there is a clutch I guess it is possible that the oil has contaminated the mechanism and the alternator is no longer turning at the required rate. Does anyone know whether this is a direct drive or clutched unit?

Actual symptoms are: Start car with codes cleared. Engines starts and runs normally, after approx 5 seconds the engine note drops and revs decrease, red battery light appears on dash display - the engine tick over revs increase marginally (presumably trying to make the alternator generate juice)- codes appear on the code reader.

Any help with this curious set of circumstance gratefully recieved ....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom