Help! Battery problem with SL R230

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sturge

Car
SL 500 R230 Vito sport X Brabus
SoI’m having fun and games again with the electrics on my SL. My key won’t turn in my ignition, originally thought it was the starter battery but now I’m not sure. Charged it last night after messing around with it and getting it to work yesterday but this morning I’m back to square one. Any ideas? Thanks....

Oh dear, for some reason, my eyes read SL320 (instead of 230) and assumed you were talking about R129. Your battery would have to be super weak to not power up the electronics for the key. How old is it? If the weather has turned cold, you may well need a starter battery.

Take a volt meter and put it across the terminals to measure voltage. Anything below 12 volts would make it toast.

SoI’m having fun and games again with the electrics on my SL. My key won’t turn in my ignition, originally thought it was the starter battery but now I’m not sure. Charged it last night after messing around with it and getting it to work yesterday but this morning I’m back to square one. Any ideas? Thanks....

You want to charge the rear battery in the boot. The starter battery does just that, start the car. All the electronics etc are on the rear "convenience" battery. As already said check voltage on it but when these fail you get symptoms like yours.

The battery in the boot is charged and there is no “consumers off line” in the dash which is usually the case. I replaced it last year. Also I have been told that the batteries supplement each other......

Might be an obvious question, but is your foot on the brake pedal when you turn the key? what exactly happens? Any lights come on on the dash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom