Help - Best Man Speech!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srefre

Car
W124 E220 >> W203 C180 >> W204 C320
I have the (dubious) honour of being the best man at one of my friends weddings soon.

I think I've got most of what I need to do sussed, but I just need to sort out the speech now.

Can anyone recommend any good books or other resources (web sites maybe) with advice on how to compose the speech?
I'm not looking for pre-made jokes etc.
There are plenty of sites I have seen with dodgy jokes, which isn't really my style. What I really want is something that shows how to structure the speech and what kind of content to include.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Keep it short, mildly witty, thank all those that need thanking, make a toast and sit down.

There really is no right or wrong. Just go with what feels best for you and the bride/groom.

My best man just isn't used to speaking to anyone in a bigger group than a few of us going out for a drink, and ours was quite a big traditional wedding, so he did something really structured, and semi-read it. It went down a storm.

When I returned the favour, it was a more intimate and less traditional wedding, and I was more used to talking to large numbers of people albeit usually with some kind of backdrop (slideshow), so I assembled a slideshow and just talked off the cuff, and it too seemed to go down well.

Two completely different approaches but for two completely different wedding but a similar result.

If the way I did appeals, then here's the ingredients and recipe for my speech:

• 1 theme running throughout, pick something mildly sensitive to cause discomfort for the groom but which won't embarrass the guests, make sure it keeps coming back
  • 1 slide showing photos of the bride and groom at the wedding - awww factor
  • 3 short stories with a comedy twist involving the groom with a witty animation behind me
  • 1 key point for each story or slide - easy to remember
  • 1 touching comment where you can pretty to well up
  • 1 compromising photo maybe the stag do, and add more spice to taste - xxx-factor
  • Liberal sprinking of points or jokes that only the two of you will get - people will laugh even if they don't get it, but only do it for the benefit of two of you ;)

Good luck!!

Don't forget the ABC of speechmaking..... Always Be Concise.

Also, before you stand, remember the XYZ....... eXamine Your Zip !

[YOUTUBE]0eFb1JXCC_8[/YOUTUBE]

THIS WAS A CLIP DURING A WEDDING SPEECH FOR A FRIEND THAT HIS BEST MAN DID... NOT EVERYONE WILL GET IT AS ITS IN GUJRATI, BUT MAYBE BUILD ON A VIDEO CLIP THEME THAT CAN BE PLAYED DURING THE SPEECH THAT WILL GIVE A GENERIC CHUCKLE.. AND A BREAK FOR YOU SPEAKING?

THEY HAVE BECOME POPULAR, IF AV SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE ON THE DAY

DONT research the Internet too much otherwise you'll sound as boring as the grooms future.

dont try to be funny.

Dont get ****** before - 2 beers max

Look for some facts about the groom people dont know, and some say he's the stig. that kind of thing.

Stuff like the Groom always comes first in this weddings, for once the wife agreed.

I made all that stuff up by not looking at the net.

Just general stuff :thumb:

Make sure speech is ready at least 7 days before wedding if possible.

Avoid making changes in those last 7 days.

During the 7 days, plenty of time to read it over many times.

Good Luck.

Just remember this is the BRIDE'S most important day and therefore don't say anything that may offend her parents or grandparents. Jokes / humour are ok - but always ask yourself will it offend. If yes - leave it out.

1 Have a good few drinks beforehand. This will 'loosen you up' and make your jokes funnier.
2 A good story about the brides previous infidelities always goes down a treat - especially if you were involved.
3 Similar to the above, it is always a good laugh to tell a few tales about the groom. Especially dodgy stories about his shenanigans with the stripper round the back of the pub on the stag do.
4 Mother in law jokes are always well received at a wedding. The uglier/fatter the MIL the funnier these are.
5 The bridesmaids will appreciate your comments about their lovely dresses, and what they may have beneath them.

Should be one of the better weddings then.

I wrote two different speeches when I was best man.

Because you will get a feel for the company you're in during the day, you then decide if you want to go for something generic and conservative or if the crowd's a bit saucy; give them both barrels.

Just in case you were wondering, my audience turned out to be a bit naughty...

Michael - that one with the guy dancing at the end is great!

I'm in the same situation, and was asked to be a best man... I've tried saying no several times, but it hasn't worked...

I'm going to follow this thread keenly!

M.

Michael - that one with the guy dancing at the end is great!

I'm in the same situation, and was asked to be a best man... I've tried saying no several times, but it hasn't worked...

I'm going to follow this thread keenly!

M.

Ask away if you need any more advice from me.

Ask away if you need any more advice from me.

1. Is bareing your bottom at the MIL a good idea?

2. Is vomiting over the chief bridesmaid best before or after the fight?

3. Should you alert the riot police ahead of the stag do?

4. Catering. McDonalds or KFC?

5. For the cross channel booze run.... Sprinter or Vito?

:devil:

2. Is vomiting over the chief bridesmaid best before or after the fight?
:devil:

I was told sleeping with the bridesmaid was more acceptable than vomiting on her...

As for the booze run, combine it with the stag do... have the stag do in the wine-shop in France... save on transport costs...

Introduce some anecdotes about the groom and prostitutes (male or female).

This will relax your audience and grab the future in-laws attention.

Play to the Brides's mums ego. Remind her how the groom fantasizes about a threesome with her and his new bride. How this is a regular conversation down the pub with the lads who have a wager on it actually happening.

When you return from your stay in hospital, you can reflect on the joy that you brought to that special day.

Play to the Brides's mums ego. Remind her how the groom fantasizes about a threesome with her and his new bride. How this is a regular conversation down the pub with the lads who have a wager on it actually happening.

When you return from your stay in hospital, you can reflect on the joy that you brought to that special day.

Or if the groom has a sister, don't leave her out either or she'll feel hurt...

There's always the old classic:

"Welcome to the groom's family, nice to see you all again"
"Welcome to the brides family, sorry will not see you at the next wedding.."

:D

Thanks for all the serious advice offerred, and thanks also for the not so serious advice, which was pretty funny.

I definitely avoided most of the online advice, as it all seems to be corny jokes, which are just generic. I'm all for a bit of a joke, but for me, it has to be relevent and pretty genuine, not some canned line from the internet. A well thought out personal joke is always better in my book.

I've kind of gone with the format of basing it round an embarrassing teenage tale from the groom, which should cause discomfort, but not complete humiliation and won't outrage the more sensitive guests.

I have written my MkI speech, so now its just a case of practising it, so the delivery is good, and making any refinements, if I think something doesn't sound right whilst practising.

This is spot on advice. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom