HELP C320 CDI V6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercedesman642

Car
C class w203
I've just had a new turbo fitted to my car and have had a horrible fume smell since. Last night lost power went into limp home mode continued to drive home, opened the bonnet today noticed soot around turbo heat shield took the shield off and ran it lots of fumes escaping from turbo. I bought the turbo refurbished and had my local garage fit it, turbo refurbers are trying everything get out of it but I'm sure it hasn't been put together properly? I have attached an image of where it's leaking from bubbles are what I sprayed to confirm. Just wondered has anyone had anything similar?Screenshot_20220126-160429_Gallery.jpg

Can you post another photo - engine off, and with fluid/bubbles dried off?

did you get a warranty with the turbo? When i got my replacement turbo it came with a warranty card with the build info on it. When i spoke to the suppliers about mine as i thought it may be loose they asked me to send it in to be checked straight away and they would arrange collection for me, i didnt need to in the end but the warranty is there, if there was a re-build fault they would cover costs, if nothing was wrong I would have had to pay for another rebuild which was fair.

I would ask them about the warranty on the turbo and sending it back in for examination, take lots of pictures before it goes off mind.

Can you post another photo - engine off, and with fluid/bubbles dried off?
Screenshot_20220126-181117_One UI Home.jpg
did you get a warranty with the turbo? When i got my replacement turbo it came with a warranty card with the build info on it. When i spoke to the suppliers about mine as i thought it may be loose they asked me to send it in to be checked straight away and they would arrange collection for me, i didnt need to in the end but the warranty is there, if there was a re-build fault they would cover costs, if nothing was wrong I would have had to pay for another rebuild which was fair.

I would ask them about the warranty on the turbo and sending it back in for examination, take lots of pictures before it goes off mind.
I've spoken to the supplier they want the car in for them to look at. But if nothing is wrong I'll be hit with another big bill did yours do the same?

From the first photo it looks like there may be a chunk missing from the turbine housing but the second photo is too blurry to see anything.

From the first photo it looks like there may be a chunk missing from the turbine housing but the second photo is too blurry to see anything.
I'll get a better photo tomorrow it's like is missing a seal bur it's also leaking by where the actuator arm opens the veins...

In what I would describe as a notch there appears to be a gap between the turbine housing and the bearing housing about 1mm or less wide and I'm assuming that is where the exhaust gas is emerging - yes?
If so, then either a manufacturing/assembly fault or, some misalignment/distortion has occurred during fitting.
Is the turbine housing new - or was it a new 'cartridge' that was installed? If the latter (and my first paragraph is correct) then this is almost certainly a mistake by your local garage and can probably be rectified relatively easily.

In what I would describe as a notch there appears to be a gap between the turbine housing and the bearing housing about 1mm or less wide and I'm assuming that is where the exhaust gas is emerging - yes?
If so, then either a manufacturing/assembly fault or, some misalignment/distortion has occurred during fitting.
Is the turbine housing new - or was it a new 'cartridge' that was installed? If the latter (and my first paragraph is correct) then this is almost certainly a mistake by your local garage and can probably be rectified relatively easily.
I bought the complete turbo apparently the housings are cleaned etc as they refurb them I had to give my broken turbo back or pay a surcharge. The exhaust gas is coming out there and all around where the bolts are even where the actuator arm is on the cartridge.

I bought the complete turbo apparently the housings are cleaned etc as they refurb them I had to give my broken turbo back or pay a surcharge. The exhaust gas is coming out there and all around where the bolts are even where the actuator arm is on the cartridge.
Just to be certain here, the turbo came with its own exhaust turbine housing which was then bolted to the exhaust manifold - yes?

A turbo cartridge on its own looks like this

1643307316110.png

Are they local to you or not too far to drive to carefully? if so then go there and let them check it. If not have it removed and then box it all up and send it them.

Also to clarify this, you bought a complete turbo assembly with the front aluminium impellar body and the rear cast iron turbine housing with the cartridge installed already.

this was delivered to you or the garage? when you got it did it have a docket, invoice or info card with the serial number of the new turbo on, its model type etc and other info?
if you have a card, booklet, docket with a serial number on does it match the one on the turbo plate on the front of the aluminium part.

pictures of my complete new turbo, i got mine from essex turbos, it was built by andy within 24 hrs and it came with a booklet with all the details in from its build and balancing etc

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 8
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 8
Yes it came with its own housing.
Then it looks to have been badly assembled at the factory. Have you spoken to the garage that fitted it? If not already, I'd run it past them for their opinion - or to put right any mistake they might have made in installing it.
Possibly it is nothing more serious than the two housings not being properly mated but without seeing it in the flesh, hard for me to say.

Are they local to you or not too far to drive to carefully? if so then go there and let them check it. If not have it removed and then box it all up and send it them.

Also to clarify this, you bought a complete turbo assembly with the front aluminium impellar body and the rear cast iron turbine housing with the cartridge installed already.

this was delivered to you or the garage? when you got it did it have a docket, invoice or info card with the serial number of the new turbo on, its model type etc and other info?
if you have a card, booklet, docket with a serial number on does it match the one on the turbo plate on the front of the aluminium part.

pictures of my complete new turbo, i got mine from essex turbos, it was built by andy within 24 hrs and it came with a booklet with all the details in from its build and balancing etc
Yes cartridge was installed already I got mine from best turbos my dad collected it for me and then we had our local garage install it. I have took it back to our local garage and they've said to take it up with the supplier... im going to have it took off and sent back there's definitely a manufacturing fault then?

Then it looks to have been badly assembled at the factory. Have you spoken to the garage that fitted it? If not already, I'd run it past them for their opinion - or to put right any mistake they might have made in installing it.
Possibly it is nothing more serious than the two housings not being properly mated but without seeing it in the flesh, hard for me to say.
I can fit a 0.10mm feeler gauge down where that chunk is its like it isn't mated properly

you didnt answer, did you have a booklet with a serial number of the turbo from them or anything with the serial number of the turbo on so you can check it?

What if you take it back and they say " this is not ours the serial doesnt match up with our records"? you could give them a call if you do not have it to hand might be on the turbos invoice if you still have it? ask them for the serial then cross check it.

These are all things you can do before pointing fingers, check things over, if it matches take it to the turbo place, if the serial doesnt match... well speak to the garage.

you didnt answer, did you have a booklet with a serial number of the turbo from them or anything with the serial number of the turbo on so you can check it?

What if you take it back and they say " this is not ours the serial doesnt match up with our records"? you could give them a call if you do not have it to hand might be on the turbos invoice if you still have it? ask them for the serial then cross check it.

These are all things you can do before pointing fingers, check things over, if it matches take it to the turbo place, if the serial doesnt match... well speak to the garage.
Yes I've got booklet all the numbers match on turbo. I've spoken to them and they are saying it's been caused by too much "backpressure" yet I've got a back box delete and the previous turbo failed due to sucking in the orange o ring that's on the air intake...

When I was not sure about the movement on mine, I rang the turbo company, explained things and they were great, they said if I want to, take it off, make sure its clean, wrap it up in the bubble wrap it came in, put it in the box and they will arrange a courier to collect it.

When it arrives they will examine it and if there is an issue, rebuild it and send it back out. if however there was no issue I had to pay for the examination time and courier back.

I was more than happy with them and how they dealt with me, in the end i didnt need to send it back, we had a chat obout my issues and was found i had nothing to worry about, they still offered to check it for me.

You need to give them a chance to inspect it and see what the issue is, if you can get a feeler guage in the gap take a photo of this as proof, take any photos you can, make sure they are good quality photos too!!!!

Dont get ****y with them, explain things and let them check it over, then take things from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom