Help! Can't find new door cills/scuff plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
I have an R230 SL and the OEM door sills (or 'Scuff plate trims') are scratched to death.

The guy who owned the car before me apparently played a lot of golf and I think he have gotten in and out wearing his spikes!

Anyway, my local MB stealership want £120 a door, and that's for the ones with clear plastic over silver foil.
£240 for plastic door sills is hard to justify. I mean, you only see them for a few seconds as you open the door!

So I am looking to replace mine with something cheaper. The design does not really matter, I just want rid of the scratched 'eye sores' I currently have.

I've been on fleeBay and all they have are secondhand ones, or door sills for other Mercs, not my SL :-(

Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of after market door sill/scuff plates on a budget of, say, £100 for both doors?

Robert

Maybe paint, wrap or coat your existing ones? I don't think a generic set would fit.

Maybe paint, wrap or coat your existing ones? I don't think a generic set would fit.

What type of paint does one use to paint plastic?

Presumably it has to adhere well, and also have a degree of flexibility? So it isn't regular car paint (cellulose)?

Thanks, Robert

What type of paint does one use to paint plastic?

Presumably it has to adhere well, and also have a degree of flexibility? So it isn't regular car paint (cellulose)?

Thanks, Robert

Hi Robert,

You could use the Plasti-Kote paint if this is what you really want to do. Have a look on their web site below to give you some idea. They have a variety of colours and finishes to choose from. Try and match something similar to the original sill covers. Having never used this type of paint, I can’t give any assurances as to what the finished article would look like.

There are many types of paint on the market specifically for painting plastic, have a look on the net and see what you can find. Halfords always seem to stock this type of product anyway, check on their web site.

Link:- Plasti-kote spray paint. How to spray paint and achieve the perfect finishing touch.

Regards,

[FONT=&quot]Dash1[/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom