HELP ! Car just died.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zuffenhausen

Car
2001 C220 Coupe
My 2001 C220 Coupe has just died.
Engine stopped and refuses to restart.
Dash display is showing "EL Power Control EPC Visit Workshop"

Thanks for your reply but thats a bit difficult just now.

Then see if you can find a local mobile mechanic with STAR.

Last edited:
My 2001 C220 Coupe has just died.
Engine stopped and refuses to restart.
Dash display is showing "EL Power Control EPC Visit Workshop"

Isn't your car covered by Mobilo, as they are the boys to sort this on site.

Isn't your car covered by Mobilo, as they are the boys to sort this on site.

Unlikely a car that old still has the Mobilo cover unless completely serviced by MB.

Do you have AA/RAC/Green Flag?? Get them to recover the car to someone with STAR

The engine non start is due to a lack of fuel pressure hence that warning. As advised get it on a Star.

Thanks for your advice everyone, car has been recovered to the garage I use for most of the day to day stuff and will be looked at in the morning. I will post an update tomorrow.

My local garage have had a look (read codes etc) and tell me the glowplugs are not working, they can get it to start & run but if turned off it will not start again.

That's strange! Normally, even with glow plug failure, the car should, once started, run and restart fine. Glow plugs only normally needed for cold start unless there is something I don't know!

I think they may be starting it with spray through the air intake, then it will run on compression alone as you suggest. Which would explain it not restarting because the glow plugs are not functioning.
I think I may have to take it to the stealers (Drayton Shrewsbury) tomorrow as I don't believe any one else has star near me in Telford.

It wont be the glow plugs. Tell the garage to do a leak off check

I think they may be starting it with spray through the air intake, then it will run on compression alone as you suggest. Which would explain it not restarting because the glow plugs are not functioning.
I think I may have to take it to the stealers (Drayton Shrewsbury) tomorrow as I don't believe any one else has star near me in Telford.

If it starts with spray, it would still not be a glow plug issue (on a CDI at summer) but most likely a fuel pressure issue as the expert already says above.

Rail pressure probably too low from the starter but gains pressure from spray, if they did use that. Could be an air leak at the low pressure side, could be the high pressure pump, could be injector leak, unlikely the pressure regulator.

But if the engine failed while the car was driven, then it could also be something else, injector wiring short circuit etc. etc.

I think they may be starting it with spray through the air intake,

If anyone did that to my engine I would sue them for a new engine...

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, SPRAY CRAP / EZSTART / WD40 / ETC INTO AN ENGINE INTAKE TO MAKE IT START.

If it starts with spray, it would still not be a glow plug issue (on a CDI at summer) but most likely a fuel pressure issue as the expert already says above.

Rail pressure probably too low from the starter but gains pressure from spray, if they did use that. Could be an air leak at the low pressure side, could be the high pressure pump, could be injector leak, unlikely the pressure regulator.

But if the engine failed while the car was driven, then it could also be something else, injector wiring short circuit etc. etc.

or could be the link I posted, problem in the tank, gauge reading positive but fuel pickup dry or blocked...

Got the car back from Drayton Shrewsbury (Dealer) last night. The problem was indeed that the tank was not drawing fuel from one side to the other so was effectively dry due to a vacuum leak and No3 injector leaking back. Have also been told the glowplugs are due for replacement, so with the B Service due in 900 miles they will get done at the same time.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom