Help changing Coolant on w639 VITO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steesley

Car
vito
I don't usually need help on stuff like this but my Vito is doing my head in.
I went to change the coolant in my van on Wednesday gone, its supposed to have 10 litres of coolant and when I removed the red drain plug from the bottom of the radiator only 5-6 litres came out... I filled the system up with coolant and water (About 6 litres) and drove it for a couple of days. Today I looked in the reservoir and the water is brown so I know its been cycled through the system plus the level in the reservoir hasn't changed either. I emptied the water out, filled up with just water, ran the engine up to temp for 15-20 min, emptied it out and it was clear. I repeated this and the same amount of water came out. My theory is the thermostat isn't opening allowing all the water to empty out of the system. I left the water in and took the van for a thrash to get the temperature up high to open up the thermostat. On the drive the low water warning light came on so I pulled over, opened the res cap and water bubbled up and back into the res. I drove home and did another change but again only about 5 litres came out. I filled the res up with new coolant and topped up with water, ran the engine again with the heater on full, topped the water up again and left it.

Has anyone come across this, it's as if the capacity is only 5-6litres when I know its supposed to be 10-11. Is there another bleed screw on the engine or elsewhere that allows you to get a full drain? opposed to just bleeding from the radiator?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom