help changing lower arm wishbone bushes E300TD?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
Any hint on how to chang the lower arm ( wishbone) bushes on a E300TD?
Can this be done without a press?
Any help will be great.
Cheers.
Olivier

Ages ago, there was someone did it using plastic drain pipe, washers and a long bit of studding.

Hi, First; I wouldn`t even consider changing the bushes in situ., and IMHO with the benefit of hindsight, I would buy new lower suspension arms with the new bushes installed.
An MB bush kit; (4 bushes, some new locknuts, a few washers , spacers etc) will cost over £100, and new complete arms are only £60/£70 each from I think Europarts .

Jack up, make safe, remove wheel, Use coil spring compressor to take the weight off the arm, disconnect the shocker from the arm and disconnect the lower susp. arm ball joint. Disconnect the rollbar droplink from the arm. (disconnecting the trackrod makes this easier) Support the hub to prevent brake pipe damage.

Then undo and remove the 2 long bolts that run through the middle of the bushes. ( I had to saw the front one when it was half out because it wouldn`t clear the intercooler, but yours is probably non turbo). The arm will then drop to the floor. The spring may stick in its top perch. If it does- leave it. Getting the bushes out is a pig of a job; chiselling, heating, rubber exploding etc. and it needed our 20ton power press to shove the new ones in , so best avoided.

If the lower ball joint to arm nut is very hard to undo; then the ball joint to the hub nut may be easier, but this nut can only be completely removed after the bush bolts are removed and the engine side of the arm is swung downwards.

Hope this helps. It`s not rocket science, all you need are some good ring spanners, a splined bit for the drop link and plenty of WD ;the best of British .:)

:crazy::eek::wallbash:

the cheapest arm I could find was 120 quids on fleebay, then you need to buy the bolts, 8 quids each from MB, let say 150 all together, the bushes all included are only 55, a third of the money...
To be continued...

Dichtung,
Did you froze the new bushes before putting them in?
Cheers.
Olivier

Dichtung,
Did you froze the new bushes before putting them in?
Cheers.
Olivier

Nope; Made sure the arm`s tubes were clean inside and lightly oiled.

They`re an interference fit, so getting them started is a bit tricky, but once they`ve entered, they will keep straight if you have the use of some sort of press. Pressure is needed on the outer case of the bush.

A hammer is of no use, Perhaps, as Dieselman suggests, if a press is not available, a couple of heavy washers, a sustantial threaded bar with nuts may do it.

Take a snap before, as you can reassemble it wrongly. :thumb:

Franey prices are great, once again Franey saved the day

After all this terror about on how to do the bushes, difficult it was etc... I decided to get the whole arm. No way I was going to get a press handy and all this was daunting me.... Then I followed the advice here, get the whole arm complete with bushes.
I looked at euro car part and with the discount 25% off I could get the lower scale cheaply made :eek: for 120,60 or the good brand for over 200 quids :doh:... This again with the discount, without it goes up to 278 :eek:

I then called Franey ( member here) and I am now waiting on 2 top quality lower arm complete with the bushes for only 120 pounds :D:bannana:
This made me a happy chap :)
Thank you to Franey for this, the advices on how to put them on and also your great prices for top quality parts :rock:
Franey Rock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom