Help: checking out 124 Estate in Yorks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
I am looking for a 124 Estate as my 'activity' car -- to carry canoes and surf boards -- which the CLK is not designed for (at least I am not willing to use it for those purposes).

I've seen one advertised, it sounds good. It's a 230TE auto in Yorks. Anyone know whether the 230 engine is robust? This one's done 150k miles.

Would anyone on here be able to check it out for me? I will of course reimburse your expenses.

Cheers,
SEAN

As long as you are not towing I think the 230 is the best of the W124 engines, it's economical (30mpg round town and 35+ at motorway speeds ) and is less prone to leaky head gaskets.

Our 230TE has done nearly 230k has perfect oil pressure, uses less than half a litre of oil between services and doesn't lose any water.

I can't come and check it out for you but pay close attention to the rear suspension, at that mileage the hydraulic spheres should have been changed (replce every 100k), if they are the originals expect them to be on their last legs and adjust the price accordingly, likewise, if the suspension feels harsh they need replacing.

Other things to check is that the soft closing rear door works properly and stays up when you open it - if it doesn't, replacing the struts is a pain. Make sure that the rear seats all fold down, but only when the rear doors are open.

There should be a dog guard/luggage cover in the rear, if it's not there or doesn't work make sure you get a healthy discount as they cost a few hundred to replace.

Check the rear wheels for any lateral play, the rear suspension radius arm bushes are prone to failure on all W124s, the estates especially so as there is more weight at the back.

if I can be of any assistance please let me know

Andy

Obviously ignore if time is of the essence, but I would suggest perhaps looking at a couple of similar W124 estates (locally) to get a feel for what your money should buy you.

At least this way you will have a real benchmark of what is a good/bad example ;)

Andy's advice is (obviously!) sound, but obviously bearing in mind the age/mileage/abuse that some of these cars will have suffered it would definately help to have someone with you who knows what to look for as well :)

What's the age/price of this one in Yorkshire, anything special?

Will

I didn't know you surfed Sean ......

Wind or proper surfing ? i can't help with your W124 quest, but would happily accompany you on a surf mission if the opportunity arose.... ;)

thanks all for your tips.

I have looked at 124's locally, but they are more expensive in London as the demand is greater.

the one in Yorks is available for £1000, has FSH, rust free apart from some on the rear window slim panel and 2 small rust spots (waiting for pics), and apparently everything works. and I like the colour: light blue with blue cloth.

the idea is for someone in Yorks to have a look see to make sure it's not a complete dog. then I will travel up and do the deal.

Howard, off to Woolacombe Bay tomorrow for 4 days for "proper surfing" ... you would be welcome. we are this time a group of 4.

FSH - you would need this checked out, expecially the intervals between services and whether any of it is verifiable/supported by invoices etc before travelling. If car has mainly been serviced with one dealer then worth telephoning them and enquiring to check their computer records - worked for me. You only need a telephone for this.
The rust on the rear window panel. If this is the 'side' rear window then this is not rust as the trim is made from aluminium. Paint will just have lifted off. Is common but not rust. Mine has this in the lower forward corner of one of the rear side windows.
Get the VIN# and use the russian site to check the original spec.
Ask when major works last carried out (and what) again check with garage via telephone.
Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom