help choosing a D/A buffer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIG_G_1979

Car
E280 CDI SPORT
Hi guys/gals need help choosing a electronic D/A I not after something big as I currently have a silverline buff but I just think it's far to big (angle grinder size) anyways something nice light and effective, I would like ur recommendations oh and not too expensive, thanks I saw this on ebay can any advise if any good tia

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151066298648&alt=web

Sent from my xperia z3 using MBClub UK

I have a Kestrel DAS6, this looks similar so should be OK. There are quite a few DA's of that size so check other makes. The pads you use also make a difference!

That duren certainly looks good value for money? Thanks another to add to the watxh list for comparison

BIG_G_1979 said:
That duren certainly looks good value for money? Thanks another to add to the watxh list for comparison Sent from my xperia z3 using MBClub UK

There's been some good things said about its value on the detailing addicts group on Facebook. One thing being that it has a slightly broader speed range than some others and its a bit cheaper than das6 and kestrel with the pads

Rupes polishers.

Hi guys/gals need help choosing a electronic D/A I not after something big as I currently have a silverline buff but I just think it's far to big (angle grinder size) anyways something nice light and effective, I would like ur recommendations oh and not too expensive, thanks I saw this on ebay can any advise if any good tia

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151066298648&alt=web

I've never gone as far as calling myself professional because I want to pick and choose what cars I work on but I've detailed some really nice cars. I began with a Meguiars 220 and progressed to a Flex XC 3401 which is good for large areas. I added a Rupes LHR Mini BigFoot machine after watching some professionals using one on a Bugatti Veyron in Jack Barclays garage and then seeing the same make being the preferred choice of Rolls Royce at their Goodwood factory in Sussex.
The Mini BigFoot is easily capable of being the sole polisher on a car and my bigger Flex machine doesn't get a lot of use now. Although it's a DA you can use it with one hand because the action is so smooth and although the outlay may be more than you'd anticipated, will your current vehicle be the only one you'll ever want to polish? It's surprising how many people will strike up a conversation about cars and they want the same shine on theirs. I covered the cost of my Mini BigFoot (and then some) on one job.

RUPES LHR 75E Mini BigFoot Polisher | RUPES Car Care & Detailing Products

Derek.

The Mini BigFoot is easily capable of being the sole polisher on a car and my bigger Flex machine doesn't get a lot of use now.

Having a van with lots of wide, flat panels, this would be ideal. I have been looking at them for a while but gulp at the price for my amateur efforts.

DA Polisher.

Having a van with lots of wide, flat panels, this would be ideal. I have been looking at them for a while but gulp at the price for my amateur efforts.

I've never been asked to polish a van but I've done a couple of Range-Rovers which are as big as I'd like to go. I used the Meguiars 220 DA polisher for quite a while until I upgraded to the Flex machine and now I prefer to use the smaller Rupes polisher because I find it easier and quicker with the ability to get in to smaller spaces. Horse for courses really.

Derek.

I really appreciate everyone's input it's a great help, so due to budget and only having 2 cars ie. Not gonna be using it every week I have opted for the duren as posted above so if u look at what it comes with can anyone advise what the different pads do amd what 2 use with them, would I use the likes of Halfords rubbing compound with the buff first then polish and wax? Like said really I'm a novice

Meguiars 205 & 105 seem to be a popular choice of compound and polish. There's some good YouTube vids of application and pads. One being a hex foam cutting pad

Thanks so just looking at the meguiars 105 and 205 after I use both of these items with a D/A then do i use my autoglym super resin followed by autoglym hd wax? Or if using autoglym products do i not use the meguiars 205? Sorry but I'm confusing myself of what is what

Think of it like this; polish and compound corrects, wax and sealants protect. So after using the former, use the latter. AG SRP is an oddity in that it has very light polishing action and has sealants…I wouldn't use it with a buffer because it is really messy stuff (rubber, crevices etc). Stick with specific polishing compound and protect afterwards with HD wax or whatever.

So apply like this..
Meguiars 105 with D/A
Then
Meguiars 205 with D/A
Then
Autoglym hd by hand
?
Would u apply 105 and 205 with d/a then wipe off with mircofibre or use different pad on d/a? Really sorry for all the questions

Start with least aggressive pad and polish combo working up if you have to.

I've found having one you can operate easily with one hand to be beneficial especially if the handle is directly above the pad - helps keep the pad square to the car, in fact get two, one to apply and one to remove the polish afterwards as wiping the cutting compound off with a rag just puts noticeable scratches right back in the paint....

First thing you need is 3M 25mm blue masking tape for edges, screenwash jets etc.

Different pads for different compounds.

Water spray bottle when using the DA - the paint correcting compound can dry out pretty quickly, a spritz of water helps.

Bin the AG SRP in favour of 3m Perfect-it polish - it's also a 3000 grit correcting fluid as well as a polish, really added depth to the colour of my cab. Apply with the DA and 3M's correct blue waffle pad.

AG HD wax next, applied by hand. Personally, I do not use a glaze after that, but others do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom