Help choosing a sound system for HD TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Hi AV experts :)

Finally got an HD TV on the way, so need to think about a sound system. Having problems identifying something suitable though, hence could do with some advice.

First up, most home cinema setups seem to be based on a DVD player. But I have a PS3, so I only want an amp ("receiver"?) plus speakers.

I'm not looking for anything too wonderful - budget of around £200. I don't really want to run cables to rear speakers (big room, fitted carpet) so preferably a system that does without or (probably out of budget) has wireless rear speakers.

The PS3 has HDMI and optical out so either would be OK as inputs to the audio system. Not looking for ultimate audio in terms of 7.1 etc.

I assume I'll also have to connect the TV audio out to the receiver too. An FM tuner would be nice, but not essential.

Going to browse some mags., but any suggestions/comments/recommendations would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance :)

Sony make some basic wireless satellite systems that come with an amp. Certainly not audiophile quality but then at £200 you won't get it. They also make some very nice AV Receivers - the new 5300ES for example. They are primarily designed for switching multiple HDMI sources and offering numerous options for routing signals.

If you have the room and can live with the cables then go for a dedicated speaker system and seperate AV receiver - otherwise an all-in-one might do.

First of all check out the lights. It is well known among audiophiles that the more flashing lights, the better the equipment.
The case - the front should have a mirror finish as this reflects the ambient light, and focusses the laser onto the disk.
Ensure that when you turn on there is a message that says 'hello' or 'goodbye' or 'see you' when turned on/off this is <glojomode> NOT </glojomode> a gimmick, but the internal microprocessors doing additional checks, and is a sign of quality.
Check the manual. If it is written badly or in pidgin english, you can be sure that all of the money has gone into technology and not into unnecessary documentation.
Spending large amounts on speaker cables etc is A WASTE OF MONEY. Common sense dictates that thr more cores there are in a cable, the higher resistance (known as ohms law) e.g. 1 wire at 1 ohm = 1 ohm. 10 wires at 1 ohm = 10 ohms. Money down the drain. Much better spent on speakers.
Speakers are something I am a bit of an expert on. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES buy 'ordinary' speakers. The best way to tell a speaker performance is by shape (the 'sound box'). More complex shapes (lots of round bits, complex curves etc) 'mould' the sound within the speaker, and give a much more rounded sound.
So there you are. You can safely ignore such things as watts, THD, etc as they are purely hypothetical. Sound (in particular music) is highly subjective, and things like watts, thd, s/n ratios are completely irrelevant to a true audiophile such as myself.
HTH Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Last edited:
Take a look at RICHER SOUNDS.
Their budget equipment is quite acceptable and very good value for money.

The beauty of a budget system is that a £2000 sytem is NOT 10 times better than a £200 system because of the law of dimished returns.

Last edited:
Hello

Have to agree richersounds often has some good buys as does costco if your a member.

I used to have a sony all in one set up but changed about 18 months ago to a Sony 7 channel amp (its huge 7*100w) with a centre rear channel??

The speakers are B & W with a Powered sub.

Have to say watching a movie with the lights down depending upon the film its awesome. You can here the sounds go round the room such as a plane, bullet, helicoptor.

I havn't changed my TV yet, still have a trusty old CRT but one day soon will swap that too. I would if you have spent a fair bit on a TV look into some good speakers / amp. Lets face it you will get your moneys worth, I looked at Keff eggs (small egg like shape) and the bose range. The B & W's are quite big but we watched a concert the othe day and we could have been their the sound IS very clear and can go very loud...

We have 2 young kids (3rd on the way) who are in bed shortly after supper, so I don't get much chance to have stuff on loud. If I'm on the PS3 in the evenings it's usually with headphones on. Hence ultimate audio quality isn't a high priority really.

We have 2 young kids (3rd on the way) who are in bed shortly after supper, so I don't get much chance to have stuff on loud. If I'm on the PS3 in the evenings it's usually with headphones on. Hence ultimate audio quality isn't a high priority really.

My three, once properly asleep would snore through world war 3, so I wouldnt worry too much about TV volume ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Common sense dictates that thr more cores there are in a cable, the higher resistance (known as ohms law) e.g. 1 wire at 1 ohm = 1 ohm. 10 wires at 1 ohm = 10 ohms.

I thought that more cores has the effect of reducing the electrical resistance? i.e. a thick wire is less resistive than a thin wire?

LOL :D

Will

Well after several hours surfing and visits to a couple of stores I'm not much nearer to finding a solution :(

The cheaper systems are all based on a DVD player. Putting something together from separates will come to more than my budget.

This is a possibility:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...ound-Sound-Cinema-Speaker-System/Product.html

(similar to the Yamaha unit that Satch posted above)

OK it's not going to match a proper system with rear speakers, but maybe good enough.

I thought that more cores has the effect of reducing the electrical resistance? i.e. a thick wire is less resistive than a thin wire?

That is what i was taught too.

Anyway, to the question. I'd be interested if you can get around the wires issue on a budget, but please don't go for a system physically without speakers.

I have a Yamaha AV receiver from the budget end of the scale. Dolby Digital, 5.1, sounds great.

Find an AV receiver and speaker package that suits yoiur budget. You would want digital (probably optical) input for at least your DVD player, console (may be the same) and a Sky/digi box etc.

mr. shr / Graham - you need to re-read the thread, it's a bit 'tongue in cheek' / Sarcastic :) ;)

Will

mr. shr / Graham - you need to re-read the thread, it's a bit 'tongue in cheek' / Sarcastic :) ;)

Will

Ok, I prefer confusing and misleading, possibly time wasting! It was the second post that went too far IMO.

Will

D'OH!!

Note to self: Don't read forums when you are hungover!!!! You wont understand them.
Stoopid booze!!!

Ah, who am I kidding? I could never stay mad at beer for long!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom