Help choosing a sound system for HD TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was thinking along the lines of one of these Bill.

This is in your budget.

We have 2 young kids (3rd on the way) who are in bed shortly after supper, so I don't get much chance to have stuff on loud. If I'm on the PS3 in the evenings it's usually with headphones on. Hence ultimate audio quality isn't a high priority really.
Your wife let's you use your PS3?

There is a KEF system with two [very funny shaped] speakers....

...oops it's DVD based....ouch, just seen the price!!!

View attachment 8578

Last edited:
I was thinking along the lines of one of these Bill.

This is in your budget.

Yup Sony is the only manufacturer I've seen that does 'upgrade' kits based on you already having a DVD player. I've previously looked at the one you posted and the other version with the tall speakers, they would definitely be contenders if I went with wired rear speakers (which I would still rather avoid if at all possible).

Yup Sony is the only manufacturer I've seen that does 'upgrade' kits based on you already having a DVD player. I've previously looked at the one you posted and the other version with the tall speakers, they would definitely be contenders if I went with wired rear speakers (which I would still rather avoid if at all possible).

I've seen a wireless version somewhere.

Well, in the end I did go for the Logic3 TX101 SoundStage 5.1 from Play.com:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...ound-Sound-Cinema-Speaker-System/Product.html

Very neat installation beneath the (42") screen:

TV.jpg

Dead simple to hook up ... left/right audio from the TV, optical cable from the PS3, plug in to the mains (all cables supplied with it). Sound is pretty good, tweaked the centre speakers up a fraction and the subwoofers down significantly! Only small issue is that there's no headphone socket, could use the one on the TV but would have to switch the audio output of the PS3 from Optical to HDMI ... so probably won't bother. All in all we're very happy with it.

It looks like the Darth Vader of the TV world ;)
bet it sounds good though....:)

There's a 'test' menu option that generates a tone to (in turn) centre, sub woofer, front right, front left, rear right, rear left ... so you can tune the volumes to your personal preference. The dogs ran for cover when it reached 'sub woofer'! On the default setting it sounded/felt like a thunderstorm :D

Interesting. In a similar vein Sony do a couple of all-in-one systems that are built into a TV stand, but they're also a bit more than I'd ideally like to spend.

Yes I bought their RHTG800 looks good and I needed a stand anyway bought with the LCD was a £300 saving on the REC price of £699.

Attachments

• miscsm.jpg
    miscsm.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 15
Yes I bought their RHTG800 looks good and I needed a stand anyway bought with the LCD was a £300 saving on the REC price of £699.

Wow that's a good saving. For that price I might well have been tempted.

I give my new sound system a bit of a thrashing this morning with the action sequences from "Pearl Harbour" (not exactly the best film in the world, but plenty of surround sound effects). Pretty damn good, how it makes sounds come from behind you I just don't know ... but it does! We've had a full 5+1 system (with rear speakers) until now, and we both actually prefer the sound from the new setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom