help choosing right alternator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

demetrios

Car
R129 500SL
Guys my alternator has packed in on my R129 500 SL.
We thought it was battery being faulty even though it was inky fitted last August.
Roof wouldn't come off or roll bar wouldn't work unless you drove car for mile or so. No charge but if alternator was giving up this makes sense?

Anyways,I had a look on eurocarparts and this is what they have Bosch Mercedes-Benz | Euro Car Parts UK?s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Had a look at this and it gives 2 different Bosch alternators for different prices.
Bosch Mercedes-Benz | Euro Car Parts UK?s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Which one is correct? Also both places add surcharge and then refund it if you give them your old alternator for some reason.

Help

There's a surcharge because its expected you will return the old alternator to be reconditioned ----- If you do the surcharge is refundable. Common practice when buying both new and reconditioned units -- there's a fair bit of copper in there!
You should get the alternator checked out by an auto electrician-- it may be only the voltage regulator/brush pack requires replacement--- a lot cheaper!

ps your 2 links are the same--- mistake???

Last edited:
Right, eurocarparts need 8 days to deliver the Bosch alternator. I've since cancelled the order as car is sitting in mechanic garage.
Problem is I need original part number for the original alternator. Found replacements but we need to check we get the right one using original part number?
Any ideas??

I take it the original alternator hasn't got the part number stamped on it?

You could try getting the part number from the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom