Help Dec 2011 Vito paint problem (rust!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a. waterfield

Hi all,
I have bought an ex demo (256mi on clock) vito lwb in white, which i purchased in early jan this year. i washed it last week (usually i have it washed) and noticed lots of tiny rusty particles in the paint, the whole van is littered, on body and in doorshuts etc. I have spoken and shown this to my local dealer who have organised their approved paintshop to come and inspect the paint.

Assuming that they want to re paint the van should i let them? Is there any grounds to return the vehicle and get another one? I am concerned that they wont be able to paint all the areas needed, and that these rust particles will cause issues later on. also with the best paintshop in the world the finish would not be as good as a correctly painted vehicle from the factory...

as the van is fully galvanised, would these rust particles effect the panel under the paint if left touching (i know this makes a few asumptions)

advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Alex

It may not be the body rusting, it may be airborne contamination that is rusting, or appears to be.

Try using a clay bar on it to see if it gets rid of it, if so it's ON the paint, not IN the paint.

Fully agree with DM, whatever it is, it will be on the paint. All my vans have tended to "rust" all over, I have a welding and fabrication shop and grinding dust just seems to be atracted to my white van even when parked well away from the shop. May also have been laid up next to a railway for a month.

seems deep in paint, some areas are smooth, others where water would sit it is worse and raised. i'll let the inspector touch the paint with products as i dont want to get involved with it all.

if i can ill get some photos tomorrow when i have cleaned it.

Just do a patch with blue-tac then polish & see what it feels & looks like after.

blue tac? really? never thought that would touch it... ill give it a try tomorrow let yall know.

Last edited:
tried blue tack, worked on getting it smooth but still the rusty bits...

worked on my smax a treat for getting a paint scuff from an inconciderate drivers door!

At least you can tell them you have tried all methods & the ball is in there corner.

well I have the MB bodyshop assessor coming on wedsnesday to see it so i'll update as to their thoughts and plans....

Thanks for the help so far!

well, they agree it is in the paint, the whole van is being (subject to MB authorisation) completely re painted windows out the lot.

I will be in contact with MB customer services to fight this as I do not want my brand new van being stripped and rebuilt to a 'non factory standard' to cover up the rusty particles. i have been informed unoffically that there is i high likelyhood that it may return in the future.

what do you guys think?

P.S I know you would love some pictures I will get them eventually!

Last edited:
I'd reject the van on the points that you've raised; you don't expect a £30k? van to be rusting and you're not happy that the paint job is going to be a bit of a bodge.

Brother bought a bora tdi few years back, after a few months he decided to have a rear spoiler fitted upon collection the body shop told him the rear quarter panel had been resprayed before!, so off he went to the dealer to explain the situation, 30mins later he had a new car on order.

lol to the replies.... question is who is best to deal with? MB UK the supplying dealer or my local dealer? I will be on holiday next week so I will commence talks with them when i return....

lol to the replies.... question is who is best to deal with? MB UK the supplying dealer or my local dealer? I will be on holiday next week so I will commence talks with them when i return....

Start with the dealer that sold you the vehicle. Technically they are MB UK's "representative on earth" (or at least who your contract of sale is with) and see what they say.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom