Help diagnosing a brake issue..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJayUK

Car
ML320 W163, E320 W210 & Jaguar X300-XJR6
Morning all

Just a quick question (hopefully :) )....

For the last few hundred miles, I have noticed that I am getting a slight vibration through the pedal on the W210 when braking at slow speed (ie. less than 10mph) accompanied by a faint droning or whining noise that seems to come from the offside front hub.

I don't think its the gearbox as its there if I select N and brake while coasting. Doesnt sound like a whining diff either and I wouldnt expect a diff issue to cause vibration that could be felt through the brake pedal anyway. There is no wheel wobble or vibration during cruising etc only when braking and its only noticeable at low speeds. No clunking, rough gearchanges or any other nastiness!

I am thinking a brake issue or at worst a wheel bearing, any opinions?

Is it worth whacking on a new set of front discs?

Could be the ABS. Could be a bearing. Do a visual check of the disc, is it shiny, is there a lip? I would not as a matter of course replace the discs unless you know that is where the problem lies.

Could be the ABS. Could be a bearing. Do a visual check of the disc, is it shiny, is there a lip? I would not as a matter of course replace the discs unless you know that is where the problem lies.

Aren't they meant to be shiny?

There is a slight lip and also some uneven wear on the face of the disc itself like light scoring. Pads are fairly new ATE ones installed by previous owner less than 12 months ago (around 6,500 miles on them)

Its like you can feel the slight disc imperfections when crawling along very slowly and braking

Its an easy job to replace and I have some spare fronts so I might just swap them and see what happens

Last edited:
Sounds like a bit of disc run-out. Try swapping them over (and the pads) to see if the problem switches to the other side.

Sounds like a bit of disc run-out. Try swapping them over (and the pads) to see if the problem switches to the other side.

sounds like binding due to a (caliper) piston not retracting..

got an IR / laser thermometer?
(do NOT use your pinkie)

It was a harsh winter. Did you give it a good rinse after winter?

Clean the brake pads and disc. A good day to do it when the weather is still warm.

It won't be surprised if the brake pads had detached from it holder plate. It happened to mine. If you are not to this kind of motoring enthusiast leave it to the experts.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom