Help ! DVD recorder and Sky+

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
Hi,

My last DVD recorder eventually packed in so I have replaced it with a new model (LG).

DVD recorder SCART goes to AV1
Sky+ SCART goes to AV2

I think I have connected everything back correctly again but I have the following problem :-

If the Sky box is switched on the TV flicks to AV2 and displays Sky+ screens correctly.

However if I then power on the DVD recorder it won't flick to the AV1 input to view whats on the DVD input.

The only way I can get the DVD to display is to power off the Sky+ box and then power on the DVD recorder.

This now means I cannot record Sky+ recordings.

Is there any way on the Sky+ remote control of selecting AV channels ?

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
Gary

Is there any way on the Sky+ remote control of selecting AV channels ?

Not that I know of. The Sky+ remote is limited in TV control.

My set up is Sky out to TV(AV1), second scart to DVD recorder, then dvd out to TV (AV2)

I have to use the TV remote to make sure I've got the right AV channel playing but it will auto select if a new device is switched on. On mine I have it all switched on set the TV to receive the recorder then set the recorder to receive rfom Sky+ then I record. Only when it's recording do I then use the TV remote to switch to terrestrial if I want to watch something else.

Press 'TV' on the remote, then press the 'Help' button to change AV source on the TV.

It's also possible to program the help button to switch to a discrete AV source if you want, although your use case seems to just need basic functionality.

-simon

Until the real experts clock on, I'm wondering if one of your SCART sockets is the master, which means it will over-ride the other one? Just a thought and this crazy idea can be elimated by reversing the connections. Sky+ goes into the other SCART

John

Your Sky box should be connected to the DvD recorder with a scart lead.
You should be able to switch between scart inputs with your tele remote, but unless the sky is connected to your DvD recorder you will not be able to watch/ record different channels.

Yep what everybody else has said: -

Sky + has two scarts one marked TV and one VCR so you need two leads, plug the one marked TV into the TV and the one marked VCR into the DVD-R!;)

Sky + has a scart control function which automatically switches the TV to Sky AV input when you operate it.

You then need to run the scart out from the DVD-R to the another TV scart input. (Note you may also have an RGB enabled scart on your TV use this for you Sky or DVD depending what you watch most often and turn your RGB output on on your Sky or DVD box)

Your LG probably has a scart control function (like the Sky + box) but you may need to turn this function on in a system menu so that the TV switches automatically.

(If you have component out for video and stereo/digital out for audio from the DVD-R and the same inputs on your TV / Amp these are better quality than scart.):bannana:

Thanks to all. A great help. The problem (as Pammy mentioned) was I had DVD in SCART1 in TV and Sky+ in SCART2. I swapped them round and all ok.

However I now have another problem which I think dougal74 has answered already.

When I view Sky "through" the DVD the picture is RGB (superb). However when just looking at Sky it's rubbish normal picture. I noticed the SCART lead is much thicker from the DVD to the TV so I assume that is the RGB enabled lead and therefore need to buy another SCART cable for the Sky.

Thanks again everyone.

Would recommend that you pay a bit more on some good quality SCART cables. Around £30 each makes a marked and worthwhile difference.

And before the AV purists jump on my head, an expert I know said that if perfect quality = 10 then cables in the above price bracket = 8. You can spend hundreds and hundreds over this but the quality difference is small and it is arguable whether or not the normal eye or normal equipment can tell the difference.

if your sky box has 2 scarts, then plug the dvd scart into the sky box, the n the sky box scart in to the tv.

When you put the dvd on the tv switchws to dvd. when you put the sky box on the tv should say euroscart. then you can record by just putting on the dvd and the sky box.

Would recommend that you pay a bit more on some good quality SCART cables. Around £30 each makes a marked and worthwhile difference.

And before the AV purists jump on my head, an expert I know said that if perfect quality = 10 then cables in the above price bracket = 8. You can spend hundreds and hundreds over this but the quality difference is small and it is arguable whether or not the normal eye or normal equipment can tell the difference.

Why does it make a difference?
What sort of difference does it make?
And other than price is there any other indicator of a better quality Scart cable?

Why does it make a difference?
What sort of difference does it make?
And other than price is there any other indicator of a better quality Scart cable?

I'm a layman on this kind of thing, but....
  • My guess is that the cables are better connected and better quality components are used
  • Difference is along the lines of "That is a good picture" becomes "That is a very good picture" Really is noticeable
  • Gold plated connectors? Or buy from a place like Richer Sounds - I have always found them to be very knowledgeable and very honest
Sorry I can't be of more help - I'm sure an audiohead will be along real soon to rubbish my information and correct me!!

Last edited:
Excellent ! Cheers. That's exactly what I need.

Obviously I would have to connect the DVD to the second SCART on the TV so I can watch DVDs ???

if your sky box has 2 scarts, then plug the dvd scart into the sky box, the n the sky box scart in to the tv.

When you put the dvd on the tv switchws to dvd. when you put the sky box on the tv should say euroscart. then you can record by just putting on the dvd and the sky box.

Obviously I would have to connect the DVD to the second SCART on the TV so I can watch DVDs ???

It makes no sense to connect the DVD to the Sky box. You want to transfer signals once, without combining them and over the shortest distance and you want to record from your Sky +. The more loops you create the more the picture can bleed / ghost between inputs.

Before you buy upgraded scart leads (which are good anyway) check if the all the TV scarts sockets are RGB enabled, all scarts leads can carry RGB signals (some better than others) but not all sockets. My Toshiba TV is old and has only one RGB scart (the one that doubles as an S-VHS input) all the other Scart sockets are standard. You don't want to send an RGB signal to a socket that cannot decode it - you will get a bad or no picture.

I'm a layman on this kind of thing, but....
  • My guess is that the cables are better connected and better quality components are used
  • Difference is along the lines of "That is a good picture" becomes "That is a very good picture" Really is noticeable
  • Gold plated connectors? Or buy from a place like Richer Sounds - I have always found them to be very knowledgeable and very honest
Sorry I can't be of more help - I'm sure an audiohead will be along real soon to rubbish my information and correct me!!
Exactly this, better signal transfer (e.g. use of gold, eliminating oxygen from the strands of wire) and shielding the various signals

Quality of connects goes: -

7. Composite - aerial cable
6. Three pin phono - video (yellow), plus L (white) & R (audio)
5. S-VHS - round multi-connect (black), plus L (white) & R (audio)
4. Scart - rectangular euroconnector
3. Component - either RGB or chroma
1b. DVI - digital video
1a. HDMI - digital audio and video

(1b. and 3. need separate audio connections)

It makes no sense to connect the DVD to the Sky box. You want to transfer signals once, without combining them and over the shortest distance and you want to record from your Sky +. The more loops you create the more the picture can bleed / ghost between inputs.

Before you buy upgraded scart leads (which are good anyway) check if the all the TV scarts sockets are RGB enabled, all scarts leads can carry RGB signals (some better than others) but not all sockets. My Toshiba TV is old and has only one RGB scart (the one that doubles as an S-VHS input) all the other Scart sockets are standard. You don't want to send an RGB signal to a socket that cannot decode it - you will get a bad or no picture.

IF you dont connect the dvd to the skybox, how would you record from the digital programmes on sky? this way you can record without the TV coming on and you can use the dvd timer and go out to work and the recording happens automatically.

IF you dont connect the dvd to the skybox, how would you record from the digital programmes on sky? this way you can record without the TV coming on and you can use the dvd timer and go out to work and the recording happens automatically.
Sorry mate I misread your initial post - okay great we are saying the same thing, you connect the OUT of the Sky box to the IN of the DVD-R.

What you want is the signal going from Dish--Sky+box--Tv 1
Dish--Sky+box-DvD-surround sound/hifi 2

DVD picks signals and sound directly from skybox and not the TV so you can record without going through the TV if you like, for digital quality in case your TV is not a modern one.
Trust me it is part of my JOB
As for buying gold plated quality scarts, except you really want the perfect equipment its not worth the investment.

Obviously mate. That way there is no conflict between sky box and dvd player then.

Oh dear it's the SCART II socket on my TV that isn't RGB enabled :(
This means that I have Sky+ in SCART I on TV so good picture.
However it means that when I turn the DVD on it won't automatically switch over and so I have to press TV and Help on Sky+ remote to get to AV2.

I suppose there is no way round this short of getting a new TV :(

Or is there a socket conversion plugin you can buy ?

Thanks for all your help again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom