Help E55 AMG W211 high oil consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjoshyuk

Car
2003 W211 E55 AMG & 2002 SLK32 AMG
Hi All

Help

My 2003 E55 AMG W211 123k on clock is using one litre of Mobil 1 oil every 300 miles.
Respected garage said no oil leaks and no oil seen on my drive.
Cam covers etc all done
Can it be oil breather?
Help
Sick as a parrot

3rd one i've read about also, Remember the guy who was trying to get his rebuilt? dont know what happened with that in the end.

What weight of oil are you using? With that sort of mileage on the car, I'd use a 0W40 or 5w40, not a 5w30.

3rd one i've read about also, Remember the guy who was trying to get his rebuilt? dont know what happened with that in the end.

Oh yeah. Thats Alex CL55K. Donshl rebuilt his CLS55 too. Grovsie31 had high consumption and shifted his C55 on double quick. The thought of spending 2/3k on the engine is not nice.

Do you a manual dipstick or do you use the cluster leave 10 minute check. 1 liter every 300miles seems very high. If double that I would have thought quite acceptable. Definitely worth checking the breather pipes. Have to say if I had owned my 55 a long time and had a bill of 2/3K for a rebuild I would sort it out not sell in to some other unlucky chap. I got to say one pet hate with my e55 is the lack of manual dipstick . Is there a mod that can be done to fit a manual dipstick ?

Hope you find the issue regarding the high oil consumption.

Cheers Tom.

Have to say if I had owned my 55 a long time and had a bill of 2/3K for a rebuild I would sort it out not sell in to some other unlucky chap.

So would I. Just to make it clear, the owner of the C55 that sold it on with high oil consumption told the buyer of the fault. I was not implying he was dishonest in my previous post.:thumb:

Is there a mod that can be done to fit a manual dipstick ?

You can buy aftermarket dipsticks off eBay. Don't go for the very cheap coiled curtain spring type; buy one with a proper scale on the end. You won't be able to leave it in situ permanently, though.

Mobil 1 0-40
I bought a dipstick off eBay ages ago
Kept a log for past week for the 1000 miles I've done
Oil level drops constantly
I've just noticed oil gunk underneath the plastic engine cover with Mercedes symbol.

I really hope it's the breather
I thought these M113 engines were bombproof
My SLK32 doesn't use a drop off oil

Love the car the plan was to keep it
Great fun never let me down

M113 never needed a top up in my case - cls500 at the moment
My s500 done 30k miles with new owner who is my mate, never needed a top up

You can buy aftermarket dipsticks off eBay. Don't go for the very cheap coiled curtain spring type; buy one with a proper scale on the end. You won't be able to leave it in situ permanently, though.

Cheers E55BOF, i'll look into getting one of those.

Take it you unscrew the red cap or pull it out the sleeve and stick the dipstick in. check the level once the oil has settled then remove the dipstick and replace the red capped device? :dk:.

How accurate is the cluster reading oil level check can anyone confirm?

Does it tell you how much oil to add if it reads low ?

Tom

I never did investigate the usage, i found a nicer car, so i sold it to we want any car for a loss.

Cheers E55BOF, i'll look into getting one of those.

Take it you unscrew the red cap or pull it out the sleeve and stick the dipstick in. check the level once the oil has settled then remove the dipstick and replace the red capped device? :dk:.

How accurate is the cluster reading oil level check can anyone confirm?

Does it tell you how much oil to add if it reads low ?

Tom

That red cap is the cover for the transmission fluid .
I've never looked for the engine oil dipstick tube before though:dk:

Unless the sensor is faulty, the oil level check on the dash should be pretty accurate. It's what I rely on anyway:D
If it says add 1ltr, add half of that and check again. Its easier to put more in than take it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom