Help fitting reg on GLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark2048

Car
Mercedes GLE
Hi guys,

I need some help how to install my smaller number plate on my GLE. It’s the grill that’s causing a slight issue.
I am at my whits end trying to come up with an idea.

I don’t want to use the plastic plinth as it sticks out a few inches either side.

I tried to do this, but it’s not holding great

Attachments

• 195D3627-1104-42D3-AD02-A628ED07626D.png
    195D3627-1104-42D3-AD02-A628ED07626D.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Hi guys,

I need some help how to install my smaller number plate on my GLE. It’s the grill that’s causing a slight issue.
I am at my whits end trying to come up with an idea.

I don’t want to use the plastic plinth as it sticks out a few inches either side.

I tried to do this, but it’s not holding great
Is your small plate legal?

Hi mark with the numberplate being your name i don't think you needed to block it out on here as your telling the world on your car. I don't think in London you would get very far with that numberplate shortened, the police would love it. Have fun and good luck.

Hi mark with the numberplate being your name i don't think you needed to block it out on here as your telling the world on your car. I don't think in London you would get very far with that numberplate shortened, the police would love it. Have fun and good luck.
Why is that? The plate is completely legal!

Fit a number plate holder first with small bolts/washers or zip ties

^^^ This. You will have to get a full size plate holder and then shorten it yourself by cutting a section out of the middle and then bond it together again, in effect a 'cut n shut', mount said holder using bolts/ty wraps and then insert your plate into holder. Its a bit of a faff, but completely doable.

Why is that? The plate is completely legal!
I thought a number plate has to be a certain size, but just double checked and as long as the spacing is right you are ok. Sorry about that only a fool never learns. :thumb:

This is from the original post. Is still like it more secure so will need to play around with it more
I've just looked at the front of my GLE and seen that you can get your hand behind the grille, just above the chrome bottom lip. I think there is enough height there to fasten say a 5mm or 6mm bolt through your plate, add a penny washer on the inside and fasten the nut. You'll need to measure the height available and drill the 5 or 6mm holes at an appropriate spot on the plate. Otherwise and simpler, is to just use cable zip ties but you would still need to drill a couple of holes in the plate..

^^^ This. You will have to get a full size plate holder and then shorten it yourself by cutting a section out of the middle and then bond it together again, in effect a 'cut n shut', mount said holder using bolts/ty wraps and then insert your plate into holder. Its a bit of a faff, but completely doable.

That makes sense, thanks buddy! Will try this.

I thought a number plate has to be a certain size, but just double checked and as long as the spacing is right you are ok. Sorry about that only a fool never learns. :thumb:
Yeah it’s to do with the spacing between the letters, had the traffics behind me many of times ( used this plate on my old merc too ) and it’s been fine.
Folk also don’t put spacing between certain letters/numbers which is illegal. But I have the space

It is indeed a popular misconception. There is no legislation regarding the size of the 'excess plastic' of the plate. As long as the characters are of the correct font, height, width and spaced correctly (11mm between digits and 33mm between groups of digits IIRC) you are all good. :thumb:

Suggest you use a bolt to fasten a (smaller than the plate) piece of uPVC to the grill, and then you can stick your plate to this uPVC. Gives you that "no screw" look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom