Help for a dumb blonde please!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goldwrapped

Car
CLK 230 K
Hi everyone
I'm really hoping you brainy lot will be able to help me out....
I have been a very proud owner of a 2001 208 CLK230 Kompressor for the past 4 years and I love it!
It has just been through a major A service for which I'm still waiting for the bill (ouch).
BUT...
In order to avoid a ridiculous white van coming at me far too fast my beautiful car ended up with a dent/crack in the front passenger side bumper (please see attached pics).
My lovely garage man quoted me a total of £700 to fix everything.... :(:(
I've been searching on line for second hand replacement parts but despite finding the part numbers on the Russian site you kindly posted the link to on here, I can't make any sense of it all.
My questions are these: do you think the car will fail it's MOT with this damage? All the lights etc are still working perfectly.
Can anyone tell me which parts exactly need replacing? I think it's the top and bottom panelling bumpers and the rail. Do you think they all need replacing?
Any ideas on how to get this sorted without spending every last penny I have?
Thank you so so so much for anything you might be able to help me with....
Best wishes
xxxxxxxxxx

Attachments

• car.JPG
    car.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 52
  • car1.JPG
    car1.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 45
If I were you, I would get a second quote from another bodyshop. If you post on here the area in which you live, it is possible that a forum member may be able to recommend a repair shop.

m2287 - thanks so much for the link - I have looked on ebay but couldn't see the right bits, I can now see that I have to widen my search! Rossendale a bit far for me to go but I get the gist.
w124nut - great idea - I live in Wiltshire, north of Salisbury, and I would be really grateful if anyone would point me in the right direction. The garage man is a good friend though, I would be very surprised if he over quoted me - I was even told this was 'mates rates' - £400 plus VAT for the parts and £220 to fit and paint. This was quoted from the same pics you are seeing.
Thanks again for all your help - any ideas on the MOT query?
xxxxxxxxxx

As long as the accident has not damaged any of the testable lights or caused airbags or other safety systems to trigger without them being replaced and there are no dangerous bodywork protrusions then I cannot see any MOT issues, when is your MOT due?

Damage normally fails an MOT when anything sharp or poking out, or both is the case.

If your lights are OK and still aligned, which it looks like they are, you should be able to packing-tape up the damage to cover any sharp edges or stuff sticking out (like that strip near the number plate end) and I believe it will pass.

To be sure - take it to a local council-run MOT station and ask them quickly to take a look (maybe before you do any taping up to check doing the above will be worthwhile until you replace it).

looking at how it has split the lower near side i would say it would fail the dreaded test ....but i am not an MOT tester! I would be tempted to nip in your local test station flashing your eyelashes and ask a tester his professional opinion. And i dont think £700 is too steep aslong as its a tidy job!

Tony.

Hi DSM1000 - Thanks for your reply.
Another epic fail I'm afraid. The MOT runs out on May 17th, and it said on the paperwork that I could take it for testing on 18th April. So I presented it for MOT and major A service on 18th April, but the garage said that it was an error on the paperwork and I was too early. They did the service and said to come back a bit nearer the time for the MOT.
I'm feeling silly for not having insisted on them doing the MOT at the time (I went to the same garage as last year, it was their own paperwork) and now worried it will fail anyway and I will have to get the work done for it to pass....
I hope this makes sense!
Thanks again for all your advice, I do feel helpless!

Hi DSM1000 - Thanks for your reply.
Another epic fail I'm afraid. The MOT runs out on May 17th, and it said on the paperwork that I could take it for testing on 18th April. So I presented it for MOT and major A service on 18th April, but the garage said that it was an error on the paperwork and I was too early. They did the service and said to come back a bit nearer the time for the MOT.
I'm feeling silly for not having insisted on them doing the MOT at the time (I went to the same garage as last year, it was their own paperwork) and now worried it will fail anyway and I will have to get the work done for it to pass....
I hope this makes sense!
Thanks again for all your advice, I do feel helpless!

I think you can only present a car for an MOT a month in advance if you wish to preserve the original expiry date but you may have the car tested whenever it suits you.

As for the cost, well if using MB parts it sounds about right.

You are not helpless, you just need to get the correct information to make your decision. As suggested ask your MOT station for their opinion on the bodywork in relation to the MOT and then you will at least know what needs to be done and in what order.

Thanks again for all the messages.
You're right, I'm not helpless, it's just upsetting when I don't know a thing about these things and paperwork/advice is contradictory, and having just spent a huge wad of money on the car, it's diving in at the deep end for more costs.
I will take it to the MOT garage for their opinion and will let you know what they say...
xxx

Thanks again for all the messages.
You're right, I'm not helpless, it's just upsetting when I don't know a thing about these things and paperwork/advice is contradictory, and having just spent a huge wad of money on the car, it's diving in at the deep end for more costs.
I will take it to the MOT garage for their opinion and will let you know what they say...
xxx

Whereabouts are you in relation to Salisbury? I live south of it but have lived north and have used a few garages in that area.

Depending upon the area your in I am sure peeps on here could give you a good indication as to a reliable repairer for that damage, one not far from me here in Essex has a great reputation.

Same as others have said, yep its a fail but a bit of silver tape over the crack till you get it fixed will pass the test.
I repaired my bumper when I had a slight coming together with a cat.
You will need a new bit of trim though.
I would have thought if you got the part any backstreet body shop would repair and repaint for less than half the £700 quoted.
Wishing you luck
Steve

Thanks everyone. I live out in the sticks, by Stonehenge, if anyone knows anyone out this way? Will get some silver tape in the meanwhile, and if any car bumpers matching mine are spotted in the area please do let me know! You've all been amazing, thanks again xxx

Apart from this wee dent, if anything else goes wrong with the car will you be able to afford to repair & run it?

Might be time to fix the dent and sell it for something a little less frightening...?? :):)

The guys on here will sort something for your repair I'm sure. :)

Thanks everyone. I live out in the sticks, by Stonehenge, if anyone knows anyone out this way? Will get some silver tape in the meanwhile, and if any car bumpers matching mine are spotted in the area please do let me know! You've all been amazing, thanks again xxx

Try the Bridge Garage at Shrewton for MOT advice, an honest and reliable place!

Stick some tape over the sharp bits, get the mot sorted then organise a sensible priced repair / replacement bumper. I'm sure a good 2nd hand one is out there somewhere just bide your time and it will all come good.

Thers a couple of cars being broken for spares on fleabay.
Just searched using clk 2001. Both in London

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom