Help! Had AMG windscreen replacement, is this genuine OEM or aftermarket

• Thread starter Deleted upon users own request member 138506
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted upon users own request member 138506

I've just had a replacement windscreen fitted to my 2015 AMG SL63 5.5 Biturbo but think this could be an aftermarket screen. This one does not have the mercedes signature or "This is a mercedes-Benz Product" markings etched in the lower corner drivers side (UK)
I attach a photograph of the kitemark that shows by its markings "DOT 904" and "PGW" that it was manufactured by Pittsburg Glass Works whose website is Pittsburgh Glass Works . There are no other markings.
Any help appreciated since i feel as though i am being cheated.

kitemark.jpg

It's genuine. An aftermarket screen won't have the star logo. The various inscriptions are not on all vehicles, and some are in fact a sticker.

Reactions: 219
Your replacement windscreen does not have the etching that your old windscreen had. But it is nevertheless an original MB windscreen. You can compare the markings to those on the old windscreen, and you can verify the part number on EPC. Whether it's the correct windscreen for your car, or if there is more than one windscreen suitable for your car, I do not know. But to your original question, again, yes it is an original MB screen.

The various inscriptions are not on all vehicles

But mine isnt "any" vehicle and from new had all insciptions etched. The windscreen was replaced a few years ago and was indentical as well with inscriptions etched. This one is not.
Additionally the embedded antenna is more noticable and placement different. More like an OEE screen.

The original OEM manufactured is etched into the windscreen, it is not an aftermarket sticker. A sticker does not make it genuine only it looks more fake with a sticker! If i wanted fake i could have gone for the new Mercedes AMG line.
What’s the difference between an AMG windscreen and a Mercedes-Benz windscreen?

But mine isnt "any" vehicle and from new had all insciptions etched. The windscreen was replaced a few years ago and was indentical as well with inscriptions etched. This one is not.
Sounds like you’ve made your mind up. Probably best to complain to the company who fitted it rather than to members of MBClub.

I don't know the answer to that... as I said, there may be more than one model of MB windscreen for your car. I can only answer your original question: this windscreen is a genuine MB item.

Thank you all for your opinions. I'm taking it to the dealership for their advice, particuarly since clips have been broken on the side windscreen rubbers and the gap has been sealed with double sided sticky stuff and silicone. As well as wind entering through this seal at speed causing winscreen noise and vibration.
Appologies to anyone who thinks i have complained to them.

I did have a genuine new windscreen fitted earlier this year. Before fitting I was shown the still wrapped screen with the MB parts dispatch docket attached. The fitter opened the screen and showed me that the antenna wires are now black and not the browny orange of the old screen. The new antenna are less obvious than the old when driving. The other markings on the new screen match those on the one that was to be replaced with the exception of the production date.

Thank you all for your opinions. I'm taking it to the dealership for their advice, particuarly since clips have been broken on the side windscreen rubbers and the gap has been sealed with double sided sticky stuff and silicone. As well as wind entering through this seal at speed causing winscreen noise and vibration.
Appologies to anyone who thinks i have complained to them.
It sounds like the quality of fitting is the bigger issue, rather than the windscreen. What was their response when you raised your concerns?

I did have a genuine new windscreen fitted earlier this year. Before fitting I was shown the still wrapped screen with the MB parts dispatch docket attached. The fitter opened the screen and showed me that the antenna wires are now black and not the browny orange of the old screen. The new antenna are less obvious than the old when driving. The other markings on the new screen match those on the one that was to be replaced with the exception of the production date.

Thanks for your reply, that is really interesting and reassuring about the antenna wires thanks. Although when i brought the car in for the fitting i asked them to check that they had a genuine windscreen i didnt see the dispatch docket nor saw it wrapped.
Its just that a few years ago when i first had a replacement screen fitted by "Autoglass" it was identical in all markings, only this time from a different fitting company it isn't. I know it has the Mercedes star on it. After some research i find that when a new vehicle is designed my MB they put out tenders to glass manufacturers for the windcreens (since MB dont make windscreens). The winner of the tender does the initial run on the production line plus maybe XX thousands that they keep themselves for resale if the tender allows. These windscreens are the first run genuine original Mercedes OEM windscreens. I think that the replacement i had a few years ago would have been one of these. However as the stock of these 1st run OEM windscreens diminishes then Mercedes will put a tender out to glass manufacturers for another batch/run to be produced and the winning bidder may not be the same glass manufacturer as the original, additionally Mercedes may have changed or improved the glass specifications in the meanwhile (such as the variation in the location of embedded antenna etc) and these other production runs as long as they are produced on the same production line at the time of tender are OEM windscreens.

Unfortunately i dont have a photo of the old windscreen but i do know it had the signature and other markings hitherto described. However, the kitemark would have been the same as the side and rear windows as DOT 24 being manufactured at SPLINTEX BELGE S.A.GILLY, BELGIUM that no longer exist having since been taken over by AGC Automotive.

Regards, from a fellow farmer.

Ha ha, we have at least two clowns here, i bet there's a lot more yet to come out of the woodwork. Of course we all know Mercedes dont make windscreens. I do tent to laugh a lot when i see folks boasting about their 350 hp modded this and that though. If a propper windscreen gives me the equivalent of 1 extra hp via improved streamlining and less windresistance ill be laughing more. Keep em coming.

It sounds like the quality of fitting is the bigger issue, rather than the windscreen. What was their response when you raised your concerns?
After remideal work replacing broken clips holding side rubbers on it still looks like this, i really dont think that tape or silicone should be between the gap.
Drivers side.JPG
Its still under investigation and ongoing.

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s the difference between an AMG windscreen and a Mercedes-Benz windscreen?
Probably just the same as the difference between an AMG or non AMG Mercedes-Benz car......just the signature on the windscreen or engine. Only true enthusiasts appreciate things like that. Can't think of any other difference atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom