Help! Had AMG windscreen replacement, is this genuine OEM or aftermarket

• Thread starter Deleted upon users own request member 138506
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey, just noticed this thread has reached 3K views. Didnt realise so many Mercedes owners had problems with their windscreens. ;)

Please explain the humour.
I brushed aside your first "dig" at me. What is humourous about "trade jibes with like minded cohorts"
Then you suggest i am "janitor of the AMG lounge". Where is the good humour in that?
Get over yourself chum, Pontoneer is never offensive deliberately.

Maybe you should be a little less sensitive.

Hey, just noticed this thread has reached 3K views. Didnt realise so many Mercedes owners had problems with their windscreens. ;)
Well, I viewed the thread to see if I could help.

Our car (a fake AMG by your reckoning and FWIW not considered to be an AMG by me either) had a 'signature' windscreen from the factory. After a stone hit and subsequent crack, it was replaced at my request with an OEM 'signature' screen by Autoglass. Like you, I wanted to keep the car original if possible.

As it happens, I don't know whether the screen you now have is an OE part or not. Clearly it's not a signature screen. I can however say with some authority that these signature screens are not exclusive to 'real' AMGs anyway.

It does sound like the fitment of your new screen has not been done properly and professionally. I would be royally p!ssed off if that were my car. I hope you get the problem resolved to your satisfaction.

Know this: this is one if the very best forum communities on the web. The folk here are knowledgeable and helpful. There is also a pervasive dry humour and no doubt a few d!ckheads. Though I may fail, I try to avoid being one of the latter whilst applying the former.

YMMV of course.

Get over yourself chum, Pontoneer is never offensive deliberately.

Maybe you should be a little less sensitive.

I'm fine mate thank you.

I don't think they do, it's more to do with your entertaining responses ...🤓

Reactions: 219
It’s a shame as the perception I had about people who could afford REAL AMG’s (and an SL at that) were clearly educated enough to be in the position to afford such heights on a non-existent social ladder and be well spoken, but this thread gives me the impression it was purchased with a lottery win.

My eyes hurt, that was painful

It’s a shame as the perception I had about people who could afford REAL AMG’s (and an SL at that) were clearly educated enough to be in the position to afford such heights on a non-existent social ladder and be well spoken, but this thread gives me the impression it was purchased with a lottery win.

As an owner of a NONE AMG by personal choice due to my Employment Situation, I find that rather offensive! Not to cause offence in my reply! :rolleyes:

I think you have summed up the general consensus and veiws on this forum quite admirably.

im sure noone is really interested in this on-going post but just incase anyone is or bored thought id share my response to cover all bases in the eventuallity things go tits up!

Thank you for your email.

The part number 5379AGAACHMVWZ is not a Mercedes-Benz part number. However, it may well be your own product code held on your systems for that windscreen.

In relation to the trims…..

1. “The technician that carried out the windscreen replacement did note on the job that some of the clips were missing from the previous replacement.”

a) Mercedes-Benz recommend that when fitting a replacement windscreen that new clips are fitted as a matter of course. However, these were not fitted on the initial fitting.
b) Your fitter carried out remedial work to replace clips.
c) This remedial work did not solve the badly fitted windscreen.
d) We can conclude that the clips whether missing or otherwise did not make any difference and are irrelevant.

2. “He has since advised that the driver side trim appeared older than the passenger side trim”.

a) It is unclear in what way the driver’s side trim appeared older than the passenger side or why this is relevant.
b) Neither driver or passenger side trims have been replaced at any time and are both the same age.
c) Both trims are the original trims as fitted at the Mercedes-Benz factory when new.

3. “However, he cannot recall whether the trim was sitting properly prior to starting the job”

a) I can confirm that the windscreen was fitting up to the trims properly prior to starting the job.
b) It would not be possible for me to drive the vehicle for the last two years with a gap between the trim and windscreen since the wind noise caused by such a gap makes driving intolerable. I have previously provided you with sound recordings of the noise.
c) You should have procedures in place when inspecting the job to record any defects in the existing windscreen or fitting that should be flagged up with the customer prior to undertaking any work. Your fitter and associates did not flag up any such defects prior to undertaking the job because there weren’t any.
d) Your fitter has a very bad memory.

I have sought independent expert opinion on the fitting of the windscreen and the opinion is as follows

a) It is possible that there is a defect in the windscreen that makes it fit lower on the driver’s side and so does not meet up to the driver’s side trim.
b) It is possible that when the windscreen was fitted it was pressed into the bonding glue on the driver’s side too far and that the subsequent lowering of the screen on the driver’s side accounts for the screen not meeting the trim and causing the gap.
c) The screen should be “blocked” when fitting to prevent uneven fitting of the screen.
d) The screen should not be sealed with double sided tape or glue between the screen and trim to seal any gaps.
e) Any reputable branch would not release a vehicle with such a poorly implemented fitting.
f) Without removing the trim the expert was unable to offer any further opinion.

I am unsure of the replacement part that you have ordered. However, I have every confidence that your branch will ensure that upon completion there will be no glue or tape remnants left sealing the gap and that the windscreen meets up to the trims without any gaps that could cause air to enter that would cause any wind noise.

Kind regards,
You need to ask for the AMG window trim clips and seals to be fitted next time.

You need to ask for the AMG window trim clips and seals to be fitted next time.
Yes good idea, I'll make sure they do that next time.

As an owner of a NONE AMG by personal choice due to my Employment Situation, I find that rather offensive! Not to cause offence in my reply! :rolleyes:
Given I only own a fake AMG, I too was deeply, deeply offended, but didn't feel that it was my place to comment. No offence, but this place is fast going downhill :(
Maybe things will pick up in a year or two?

Given I only own a fake AMG, I too was deeply, deeply offended, but didn't feel that it was my place to comment. No offence, but this place is fast going downhill :(
Maybe things will pick up in a year or two?

THIS (Again): #121 Can't we all just join together in MB Harmony, forgive each others digressions and live ln perpetual Peace and Harmony?
We've had our fun. I've kept you amused. I think its time to move on. It's up to you.

If people cant move on its too bad. I only intent to post updates on the ongoing saga of the windscreen for those who are interested in the eventual outcome. You should note that since #121 that is all i have done. If people wish to continue to bait me they will have to accept my entertaining responses. Again its up to you.

THIS (Again): #121 Can't we all just join together in MB Harmony, forgive each others digressions and live ln perpetual Peace and Harmony?
We've had our fun. I've kept you amused. I think its time to move on. It's up to you.

If people cant move on its too bad. I only intent to post updates on the ongoing saga of the windscreen for those who are interested in the eventual outcome. You should note that since #121 that is all i have done. If people wish to continue to bait me they will have to accept my entertaining responses. Again its up to you.
'Mate' you need to lighten up. You are being played like an old piano...

My comments on the windscreen are genuine though.

Small Point that you may want to ponder upon, I POSTED #121! :cool: 🤪;):oops::doh:

I think you have summed up the general consensus and veiws on this forum quite admirably.

I think you both need to read what I posted again, rather slowly this time!

Small Point that you may want to ponder upon, I POSTED #121! :cool: 🤪;):oops::doh:
John, I know. I said at the time it was the best post of the thread. I hope you don't mind me referring to it. :doh:

They don't, we just want to know when Mercedes started making their own windscreens?

'Mate' you need to lighten up. You are being played like an old piano...

My comments on the windscreen are genuine though.
Hope you like the tune chum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom